Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 1:01:04 PM EDT
Any suggestions? I would like to install a 4 rail handguard on my Entry Tac but I can't spend an arm and a leg right now.  Who makes a nice two piece handguard for just mounting a VFG and light?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Try looking into MI`s 2 piece quad rails. They have been getting good reviews. Most of the vendors on the Equipment Exchange seem to be carrying them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
MI, YHM, surefire all make affordable drop in handguards. They are good and cheap and can be found on the EE from many dealers
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've looked at the surefire and like it but it's expensive.  As far as the MI and YHM does anyone prefer one over the other?  I think I will use the Tango down grip as well are these two a good fit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
MI looks damn nice and quality made. I prefer them over yhm
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for the MI.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've looked at the surefire and like it but it's expensive.  As far as the MI and YHM does anyone prefer one over the other?  I think I will use the Tango down grip as well are these two a good fit?

Thanks

MI rails are 'solid' (meaning there is not channel down the middle) thus they would work better with KAC type VFGs.

YHM rails are lighter (by 3.4 ounces - just about the same weight as the Tango Down VFG).

Either should work work with the Tango Down.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#8]
MI - I've had both. Like the MI better.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The surefire rail can eat my ass

for $200 there is no excuse for not being level at the very least

Its not on the same level, its not even parallel

In fact, it just sucks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Just installed the MI ones on mine 20 minutes ago.  Lock solid fit.  No rotation, no wiggling, not nothing.  Solid as can be.  Make sure you buy the right ones depending on front cap, i.e. by the Colt one if you have a Colt upper.  Bought mine at Bravo Company, was cheapest place on net at time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In fact, it just sucks.

If I recall correctly, SureFire's reason for the top rail height of the M73 being lower than the receiver was to facilitate lower-profile mounting of laser devices. It is an option for those who desire that quality, and there are alternatives like the MI, YHM and Samson units which do not have this feature.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#12]
thats all well and good but I swear that rail setup has a fairly high angle to it as well

might just be my eyes but they seemed to follow the same profile as the old hand guards
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
thats all well and good but I swear that rail setup has a fairly high angle to it as well

might just be my eyes but they seemed to follow the same profile as the old hand guards

No angle. I have the SF rails on RRA with no complaints. They mount a little different but I can promise you 100% they're not moving at all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In fact, it just sucks.

And just what the hell do you plan on putting on it that requires it to be level with the receiver?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I am torn between the surefire and the MI.  Does anyone no which one is heavier?  I know it won't make that much difference but every little bit helps.  Just for curiousity does the YHM lock up solid?  Anyone have any experience with it.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the Surefire.  It is very reasonably priced and is the best of the non-free float rails.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 Does anyone no which one is heavier?  I

Sure, I do:

Weights w/o any rail covers (in ounces) :
Carbine, non-FF, GG&G Tactical Modular, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (13.5)
Carbine, non-FF, KAC RAS M4, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (8.8)
Carbine, non-FF, KAC RIS, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (8.1)
Carbine, non-FF, M4 Type, double sheilded, pair, plastic (6.4oz)
Carbine, non-FF, Midwest Industries Railed(4)/2 Piece, aluminum (11.9 oz)
Carbine, non-FF, Sampson MRFS-DI, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (9.1 oz)
Carbine, non-FF, Surefire M73, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (10 oz)
Carbine, non-FF, Yankee Hill Machine, Railed(4)/2 Piece, aluminum (9.5 oz)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ok, I am torn between the surefire and the MI.  Does anyone no which one is heavier?  I know it won't make that much difference but every little bit helps.  Just for curiousity does the YHM lock up solid?  Anyone have any experience with it.

Thanks again

The surefire is lighter by 1.9 oz and has locking screws that lock into the barrel nut prevent any twisting/slop. The one I have used is very solid.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And just what the hell do you plan on putting on it that requires it to be level with the receiver?

EoTech?

They are very nice rails, but I'm looking elsewhere
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I am going to put an EOtech on it but my rifle is coming with a dominator mount on the receiver.  The only thing I plan on mounting to the rails are a VFG and a light of some sort.  It sounds like It'll be between the MI and the SF.  

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm actually looking into the MI rails at the moment

Probably doing the MI two pc free float assuming i can find a good solid review
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Try looking into MI`s 2 piece quad rails. They have been getting good reviews. Most of the vendors on the Equipment Exchange seem to be carrying them.

Big +1

My Midwest Industries is rock solid and can be had for a pretty good price (150)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Who sells MI hand guards?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#25]
bravo company and dsg arms
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top