Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/1/2006 2:38:05 PM EDT
Has anyone ever tried to make a folding pistol grip for ARs? When trying to make a smaller carry box for the two AR halves, I run into the problem that the pistol grip sticks out too far and makes the whole thing take up far too much room.... which got me thinking...

Could you make a pistol grip screw out of a 5" or so peice of threaded rod, and about an inch up where the normal length of the screw's head is, back two nuts against each other and loc-tite them down.. and then on the opposite end, loctite a butterfly nut and a regular nut against each other so that the butterfly could be used to turn the entire rod...? Almost like a grip screw with a long thumb screw type handle on the end that can stick out of the bottom of the grip...

I think it may be worth trying for the dollar or two in parts it would cost to home-depot-fab-up the item - but has anyone else tried this?

-Colin
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 2:42:40 PM EDT by twonami]
tg
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:46:29 PM EDT
Well, you could copy the cut-down standard grip used on the USAF survival carbine prototypes. The weapon was designed to fit in a small compartment in the aircraft. Cheap and easy to try, but not as comfortable as a real grip.

For more info, see CaptRichardson's Colt Carbine Variations Guide
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:11:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By t-money:
Well, you could copy the cut-down standard grip used on the USAF survival carbine prototypes. The weapon was designed to fit in a small compartment in the aircraft. Cheap and easy to try, but not as comfortable as a real grip.
i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/captcarbine/Slide8.jpg

For more info, see CaptRichardson's Colt Carbine Variations Guide

Cool.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:02:46 PM EDT
I thin I saw that Cheaper than dirt has a folding grip.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:10 AM EDT
T-money - I had thought of that when I got home. A2 grips are pretty stinkin' cheap, the stock sticks down a bit as-is, and I'm used to tiny grips such as my G27 grip... I'm going to try a few builds this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.

-Colin
Top Top