Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 10:09:28 AM EDT
I'm looking at the 16" M4 upper at this url:

DMPS Upper

$299 for a complete 16" M4 uppers seems like a steal...$334 for chrome lined...

What am I missing?  Is there something wrong with DPMS uppers that makes then so cheap?

I want one, but don't want something that is gonna screw me in the long run...

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
my guess would be that it doesnt come with the bolt carrier group or charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You would have to add the bolt carrier group and charging handle. Not wanting to hijack your thread, but the link you posted says that DPMS uppers come with Wilson air gauged barrel, I was under the impression DPMS made their own barrels.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Hijack away, that's a valid question about this upper.  

I have a bolt carrier group and charging handle from the current upper I'm swapping out, so I don't really need another.

But even for other uppers without those parts, this seems about $50-80 lower than most...any reason for that?  Are DPMS parts somehow inferior?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a good price and in line with RRA prices from dealers. Wilson makes the barrels for DPMS, RRA, and others. Its cheaper because it doesnt have the 4150 steel, 1/7 twist, M4 feedramps, F height FSB all of which are low production features that cost more. You are getting a good upper that would serve well for 95% of the people on here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is a good price and in line with RRA prices from dealers. Wilson makes the barrels for DPMS, RRA, and others. Its cheaper because it doesnt have the 4150 steel, 1/7 twist, M4 feedramps, F height FSB all of which are low production features that cost more. You are getting a good upper that would serve well for 95% of the people on here.

Great, thanks for the info!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I could build the same thing for $245.  But thats with $50 in tools I already bought.  You could buy the tools and the parts for the same price as that upper.  Then never have to waste your money on a complete upper ever again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top