Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/28/2006 8:42:52 PM EDT
Wilson barrels are well known in the target shooter crowd but they also make run-of-the-mill barrels for various gun manufacturers.

Has anyone installed and shot one of the RRA 'Wilson air-guaged' stainless heavy barrels ? If so, how does it group ?

Am thinking of rebarrelling a varmit config. AR. It has a Krieger stainless tube chambered and installed by Bill Wylde himself and shoots nice sub .5 MOA groups but it's 24 inches long and 1" diam. and just too heavy.

Any experience would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:25:07 AM EDT
why not just get it reprofile or cut down.

adcofirearms.com does great work
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:38:02 AM EDT
I have one of the Wilson SS 1:8 CAR barrels from Adco. Here is the rifle and a target from it's first outing. I was using blue box Black Hills 77gr rounds. Keep in mind this is at 100 yards with an Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:53:32 AM EDT
Top group is at 319 yards prone, the bottom is 100yards both with BH 77gr.RockRiver/Wilson match turned down to .820 and crowned at 18 inch.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:33:22 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies.

I probably should get the Krieger barrel modified but am not sure who to send it to. I don't know if Bill Wylde is in business anymore and I waited a year for him to build this rifle to begin with.

I would like something 20 or 22 inches with less than .9 up to, and maybe .7 or so beyond the gas block.

Barrel performs well but has about 2,500 rds thru it. I suppose it makes sense to re-chamber it so I have a 'new throat area' to extend barrel life.

Any suggestions for a precision smith ?
Top Top