Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
VERY NICE
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Your assessments of the Vortex are right on! If I EVER find time to publish the NV FH performance study I did late last year... While looking through NOD's, I tested 5 different FH's and the Vortex came out the CLEAR winner.  There is virtually NO blooming effect at all while employing a vortex with NODS on either a .223, 6.8 SPC or .308.  The only time I witnessed any blooming effect was not blooming, but unspent powder gas that fogged up the NVD during rapid fire.  An interesting phenomenon, but makes perfect sense.  I do not have a suppressor, but I would like to know if this same effect happens during this time, as well as full auto burts.  I will take these questions to NV forum.  

Edwin, I would like to know what digi camera your using? I forgot as I think you mentioned before...Olympus of some sort?  Thanks

Vic

Victor, it's the Olympus E-1 DSLR, available at bargain prices right now (as it's about to be replaced), splashproof and built as tough as a CQD grip with it's pro build, with a shutter rated at 150,000 cycles (most of the lower priced Canon and Nikons are rated to 30-40,000).  
It's weakness compared to say a Canon 20D is high ISO noise, but it cleans up very well with NeatImage or NoiseNinja as it's monochromatic in nature, and it has a superior auto white balance sensor, excellent dynamic range, color, wonderful flash performance, and requires the least post processing of almost any DSLR on the market.
Some fault it's having only 5 MP, but I rarely need anything printed large enough to need more.
What would I buy instead if I was going up the DSLR tree, why the Nikon D2Hs which is only 4.1 MP but fast fast fast!  It's the quality of the mega pixels, not the number.

All that said, there isn't a DSLR on the market right now that gives poor performance, some like the E-1 Olympus give great color and white balance performance while being as battle ready as a SPR, some like the Canon 20D have incredible clean high iso performance, some like the D2Hs have incredibly fast and accurate speed, focusing, and frame rate (think M-16), some like the Canon 1Ds have incredible resolution (almost too good for the lens).  
Then you have "hybrids" like the Nikon D2x and Canon 1D MkII that have speed and resolution as well as the pro build of a M1 Abrams battle tank.
It all boils down to how fast do you want to go and how much do you want to spend? Do you shoot low light or from a white water raft?
Do you want the latest and greatest tech or the most affordable weather sealed rugged camera?

It's a great time to be into cameras!

Here's my first!
From 1973!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nikon D2H's....2,300K +  I think I will try the Olympus, but my Minolta takes very good through the tube night shots! Looking forward to yours!

Check out the D200.  1600-1700$ and excellent resolution, speed, and pro quality.  Nikon and Canon are as bad Nvidia and ATI in their war.  I'm loving it though :)

bp

PS NICE rifle!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top