Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 4:36:38 PM EDT
i am building a mid length upper with one of Bravo Co. new barrels and need some hand guards. i am trying to decide between the Cav Arms C-8 hand guards and the Rock River ones. i thought i read somewhere that the Cav Arms were made of a better material and would handle more heat than the ones made by Rock River but i cant seem to find where i read it. now if there is realy no difference in quality than i will just go with Rock River because i can have them shipped at the same time as my barrel. if the Cav Arms are really better i would rather buy them even if it means placing a seperate order for them from someone else. any info that will help me decide will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The factory handguards on my midlength Rock River are heat shielded.  I've never noticed them get too warm, but I've never taken it to a Tactical AR course or anything.  I wouldn't have a problem going with Cav-Arms either.  I have one of their M4 stocks and like the quality.  Plus you can get them in Coyote Brown which I plan on using for my next build, which just so happens to be a Bravo Company upper.  BTW did you order yours already?  I didn't know that they were in.  Who has them in stock?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to see some feedback on these also, as well as the armalites....

I had asked this question once before, and was told that the RRA weren't all that great. Then I started looking for the Cav Arms, but was told by a dealer that they were having too many issues with them, and may no longer stock them. I don't really have the money for the Larue I eventually want, but would like to build up the Sabre Defense mid-length barrel I have one of these days...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The factory handguards on my midlength Rock River are heat shielded.  I've never noticed them get too warm, but I've never taken it to a Tactical AR course or anything.  I wouldn't have a problem going with Cav-Arms either.  I have one of their M4 stocks and like the quality.  Plus you can get them in Coyote Brown which I plan on using for my next build, which just so happens to be a Bravo Company upper.  BTW did you order yours already?  I didn't know that they were in.  Who has them in stock?

i bought a striped barrel from Bravo Co. but he only has a few left as most were sold a complete uppers. he also has some of the assembled uppers in stock. mine should have shipped today if not tomarrow.

i think Grand tactical (i might be wrong about this) is selling some of the uppers as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the RRA OD handguards on my Sabre Defence barreled middy and haven't had any problems with them at all. I've bump fired a little and they've stayed straight and in one piece.

I like their profile, as well. Just right, in my opinion.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a set up Cav Arms on my RRA middy build. They are great. The lock up tight with no movement or gaps. I would highly recommend them.

edited out misinfo
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
bump for the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the standard HG from RRA and the CavArms C8 handguards, and the material, texture, shade (OD) were VERY DIFFERENT from each other.  

While it's not apples to apples (standard vs. mid-M4) and those two could be manufactured differently, I could tell a big difference in the quality of the two.

My RRA handguards were slick, shiney, and, well, plastic-ey.  The RRA handguards were textured, non-shiney, and very polymer-ey.  The CavArms grips felt like the grip on a USP45, while the RRA ones felt like the plastic on a super-soaker.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
onslaught,
great review thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I swapped out the factory RRA middy handguards for a set of Cavarms coyote brown 'fatty' handguards. The Cavarms are MUCH better with thicker and more rigid metal heatshields, better quality and fit overall.
No comparison, get the Cavarms they are worth the extra $$$....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are you guys buying the Cav Arms handguards?

Thanks!
Dave
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
i got some black midlength handguards with heatshields.  id call them matte, not super shiney.  came on an alexander arms upper.  ill donate them to a good home.  im me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Try DSG Arms.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top