Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 1:23:50 AM EDT
..So my long wait is over- I finally received my Gov't A4 midlength upper from RRA with the optional Surefire handguards on time as promised- since this is my first experience with RRA, could some experts shed some light regarding some questions I have:
1-the upper came with a triangular handguard cap with M85 Surefires (I thought the triangle type are fr VN era?), dont all modern AR's come with round ones?  Are there any pro's and con's to having round vs triangle caps?
2-How can I tell if the barrel is chrome lined, there are no markings on the barrel.
3-From what I have seen online at RRA all their uppers have a side sling adapter, my new upper with the factory installed Surefires have a standard sling adapter (below the front sight)

Overall are all these characteristics normal of a RRA upper with Surefire from the factory or did they make a boo-boo???

Thanks all for your patience and insights!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If you check out RRA's Website under Surefire they list the mid-length as follows:

AR3010 . . . . . . . . SureFire M85 Tactical Rail Handguard, Mid-Length
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . For triangular handguard cap.

For assurance that you got a chrome-lined barrel, check out the 'Industry' Form, then 'Rock River Arms', then look at the second sticky.  

They don't show a side sling mount in the picture of the Mid-length Upper (AR0375X  Mid-Length A4 Upper Half), nor do they list one as an option.  However, they do show one with the Elite CAR A4 Upper (you get both the std and side mount).

I got a new Elite CAR A4 rifle a couple of weeks ago and mine came with triangular handguard caps and a side sling mount. FWIW, my new RRA Mid-length, chrome lined barrel is marked '212' under the gas tube just in front of the delta ring just like Steve's list said it should.

I'm sure that if you call them, they will sell you a side sling mount for a nominal amount.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#2]
they probably expect you to find a way to mount your sling to your railed foreend now...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Most (but not all) mid-length barrels use triangular handguard caps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Are there benefits to having triangle vs round caps or is this just in cosmetics?  Thanks gents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top