Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 6:07:05 AM EDT
Could someone run me through the pro's and con's of the different types of forearms, i.e. differences between a free float, a 2 piece with rails, or a modular forearm?  There's so darned many and I have no idea on where to even start on choosing which type I want.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to use your rifle for, and what do you want to have on it? That's probably where you should start.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably just a Surefire light.  The upper is a flat top and I already have an EOtech on the way.  Possibly a vertical grip in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess my real question would be are what are the advantages of a free float system.  I am looking at the Surefire M73 Quadrail which to me looks like you just yank the existing forearm off and replace with using the same delta ring, etc.  I was just wanting opinions on whether or not I am selling myself short going this way or not, as oppossed to a SIRS free float or such.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you want your Hot Rod to do.

If you want an Accurate Rifle you will need two things to start with.

1.  A Good Barrel
          Douglas, Lilja, Kreiger, PacNor, ect

2.  Then Free Float that Barrel
          Service Rifle Type Free Float Forend
                Compass Lake
                Accuracy Speaks
                Albert Turner
          Military Style Free Float Forend
                Knights
                LaRue
                Daniel Defense
                Other

If Ultimate Accuracy is not your Goal, go with a Non FF drop in rail system for mounting light, grip, ect
          Knights
          Armalite
          Troy
          YHM
          Many Others

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
you don't need the FF forearm unless you plan on mounting an optic on it.  I have the M73 and I am a huge fan of it.  It is very nicely designed and is completely rock solid.  The diameter of the M73 is a little smaller than all the other rail systems but that is one of the reasons I like it.  I use panel rail covers and it doesn't make it to big to get a good grip as it does with all the other rails.  The top rail on the M73 is not level with the upper receiver rail it is a little bit shorter than the upper.  If that would bother you than I would get the MI 17 forearm.  It is a very well made forearm and it is a little cheaper than the M73.  DSG arms has them for around $130.  I prefer the M73 but the MI 17 is a close second.

good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top