Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 4:28:05 PM EDT
RRA sells a SS Wilson barrel but it is listed as a 223 Wylde Chamber.

What is the difference between the 556 Nato and 223 Wylde chambers?

I am thinking of building another AR but with a SS barrel and I like the Wilson that RRA sells but would like to know what a Wylde chamber is?

Thanks for any help in this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The differences are in the chambering... Wylde chambers are for 5.56x45 NATO and/or .223 REM ammo... It will safely and accurately shoot either one of those ammunition's and is better suited for match grade ammo...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It will mostly be used for target, plinking, and drill shooting w/ 55 fmj ammo.

Should I just go with a standard chrome molly or non chromed with the Nato chamber instead of the Wylde?

theshootersden, Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It will mostly be used for target, plinking, and drill shooting w/ 55 fmj ammo.

Should I just go with a standard chrome molly or non chromed with the Nato chamber instead of the Wylde?

theshootersden, Thanks for the info.

You don't realize how hard this is for me to say, but if your wanting it for the reasons you have listed, you should get the,,, man, I cant believe I'm going to say this, the RRA with Wylde chamber... I hate RRA for other reasons but for what your after they should provide you with a decent barrel... The stainless is what you want to get... Get it with the Wylde chamber and if you ever want to shoot heavier bullets than the 55 grain, the 1:8" twist will handle it well...
Chrome-moly and the non-chrome lined are the same barrels... They are both chrome-moly 4140 steel barrels... The stainless steel barrels accuracy and life expectancy is about the same as the chrome-moly... Stainless though is a lot easier to clean...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
theshootersden, Sorry to have urked you with the RRA part. I thank you for your HONESTY!!

RRA is only selling the barrel, it is made by Wilson, I am sure I could buy it from somewhere else, alot of Vendors carry Wilson barrels.

Again, THANK YOU for your help!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
theshootersden, Sorry to have urked you with the RRA part. I thank you for your HONESTY!!

RRA is only selling the barrel, it is made by Wilson, I am sure I could buy it from somewhere else, alot of Vendors carry Wilson barrels.

Yep...  ADCO sells stainless Wilson barrels that don't say "RRA" on them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I was wrong on what I was trying to say.

RRA is selling the Wilson SS barrels with the 223 Wylde chamber on their website. The barrel does not say RRA on it as far as I can tell. They advertise the barrel as a Wilson.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess I was wrong on what I was trying to say.

RRA is selling the Wilson SS barrels with the 223 Wylde chamber on their website. The barrel does not say RRA on it as far as I can tell. They advertise the barrel as a Wilson.

Sorry.

Not at all... I knew what you meant...  No apologies neccessary.  That was just an expression on my end.

I was just providing a link to an EXCELLENT dealer and supporter of this forum who sells RRA and Wilson stuff at a lower price than you will usually find on RRAs website.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...  ADCO sells stainless Wilson barrels.

+1...

ADCO is the place... Steve's good people and can definitly help you out with all of your AR needs...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the Wylde chamber require the use of a different bolt or will any new bolt work?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does the Wylde chamber require the use of a different bolt or will any new bolt work?

Nope, uses the same bolt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one of Steve's 16" SS barrels mentioned in the link above.  It was a shooter.  He contoured it down to .820"ish under the handguards.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Im wanting the same barrel. Only thing I dont like is the front sight setup. Id rather have one of those low gas blocks. I plan on using some sort of scope, so I dont need the front sight. Does it have to be on there? Can those low profile gasblocks be added to any barrel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top