Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally will not wrap a piece of nylon around my body unless it has a QD piece so I can ditch it in a hurry if it gets caught. The swivel wont do, because that cant be ditched while there is pressure pulling on it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the two point setup with KAC front and rear QD swivels.  I have had the rear of the sling mounted to the stud on the VLTOR as well and it works just as good though I prefer it closer to the reciever like this.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I personally will not wrap a piece of nylon around my body unless it has a QD piece so I can ditch it in a hurry if it gets caught. The swivel wont do, because that cant be ditched while there is pressure pulling on it.

OK, I obviously don't know a DAMN thing about this sling method since I just said I had never heard of it and asked for pics, BUT now that I've seen it and read your comment, I believe that some of the Blue Force Gear SOC components that ADCO offers could easily be used to adapt a QD sling solution to this mounting method.

Thanks to Horik and especially to Sinstral Rifleman for those pics - As one lefty to another, I know what you mean about the 3-point and ejection port.  I HATE single point slings, so I may have to give this method some thought.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
SinistralRifleman, Combat_Jack, ian187, and horik, thanks for the pictures and feedback.  Going to have to try this soon!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
No problem on the pic, happy to help.  

I've owned single and three point slings and I think this two point system really takes the best attributes of those two slings and combines them into one simple method.  Kinda funny how (with a little mod) whats old is new again.

Also, I don't see why it would'nt be easy enough to sew a quick release buckle into any old two point.  I've thought about doing it to my Vtac but just haven't taken the time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I obviously don't know a DAMN thing about this sling method since I just said I had never heard of it and asked for pics, BUT now that I've seen it and read your comment, I believe that some of the Blue Force Gear SOC components that ADCO offers could easily be used to adapt a QD sling solution to this mounting method.

Thanks to Horik and especially to Sinstral Rifleman for those pics - As one lefty to another, I know what you mean about the 3-point and ejection port.  I HATE single point slings, so I may have to give this method some thought.  

Two-point mode is how I run my Blue Force sling.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
sweet setup u got there Horik
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you explain why galvanic corrosion around a sling swivel insert is any more of an issue than it is around the barrel nut, receveiver end plate, etc.?

Happy to... as you know the corrosion occurs when there is an electro-coupling between two disimular metals, the salt water (or air heavy with the same) acting as electrolyte... the two metal become an anode and cathode and the sacrificial process corrodes the anodic of the two... based on galvanic series.

The other parts you mentioned are mild steel parts and are almost always parkerized, stainless steel is not parkerized (can not be parkerized) and often is only chemically "dyed" black or left untreated -- without the benefit of an oxide coating to mitigate the state of electro-coupling, the corrosion process is MUCH faster... Also (depending on the type) stainless often has more measurable difference between the cathodic and anodic states fo the two disimular metals.

Furthermore, the barrel nut, properly installed with greased threads and torqued, is not nearly as victim to the incursion of the electrolyte air/water -- guns that do live in this environment will display signs of corrosion under the receiver extension tube lock plate from time to time though.

There is some evidence that inserted items, such as press nuts, zirk fittings and perhaps sling inserts also have the sort of fit that promotes the potential for corrosion, wherein the clearance around the suspect part is loose enough to allow for the incursion of wet air -- but tight enough to promote the electro-coupling and withstand the introduction of displacement chemicals and POLs -- yet not tight enough to be "self sealing".

Glad that you asked though...

Thank you very much, answered my question and then some.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks man!  

It's a great little blaster.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man!  

can we get more pics ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Im impressed with the ability to stop the sling swivel from rotating. Is LaRue the first to do this?  Any chance of them coming out with just a rail mounted sling mount with this ability?

Yes and yes.

Quoted:
So when can I buy one?

This afternoon I saw a bunch of 9.0s, and 12.0s and the 7.0s were coming off the mill.  And...all LaRue handguards from this time on will have the new sling-swivel feature.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man!  

can we get more pics ?

I'll take some more tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Why not just take the Larue off and shoot thru it to make the hole?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome.  I ordered my 9 inch rail 6 weeks ago, and is supposed to ship this week.  Wonder if it will have the new sling swivel hole.  Hrrm?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here is the two point setup with KAC front and rear QD swivels.  I have had the rear of the sling mounted to the stud on the VLTOR as well and it works just as good though I prefer it closer to the reciever like this.  YMMV.

i1.tinypic.com/nyiqo8.jpg

This is exactly my ideal sling setup.  I still have to ghetto-mod my issue rifle to do that, but it's good to know I don't have to for my personal rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I will be getting in some of the new LaRue models soon, and will take a bunch of pics, and update the handguard install instructions in the BIY forums.

Can't wait!

And as a lefty who has been using and hating my single point.... I am eager to try this attachment point and see how it works, with transitions to weak side, and comfort level.  I have never found the perfect sling setup.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I will be getting in some of the new LaRue models soon, and will take a bunch of pics, and update the handguard install instructions in the BIY forums.

Can't wait!

And as a lefty who has been using and hating my single point.... I am eager to try this attachment point and see how it works, with transitions to weak side, and comfort level.  I have never found the perfect sling setup.  

cool. Thanks !!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#20]
That's great news, I'm going to get a new model 12.0 for my next project.

I'm satisfied using a rail mount KAC forend push button sling swivel and mount on my LT 9.0 handguard.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Awesome.  I ordered my 9 inch rail 6 weeks ago, and is supposed to ship this week.  Wonder if it will have the new sling swivel hole.  Hrrm?

I would expect it to !
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
why is it at the back instead of the front?

For the two point sling, which is, for me, one of the best.

Awesome. I want one!

A few guys out of Group are running their 3 point off there also...  not with the Larue, but with a basic mount off the rear of the rail.

There are a cople here running a two point in similar fashion. The only difference is, they are running HK style hooks. That way they can drop the two point and go to a single point in a flash.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I have to admit that LT is making waves with all this innovation and customer service.  I don't own anything LT, but I could see that changing in the near future.

What I really like, though, is this 2pt sling setup.  Right now, I'm running a Vtac sling and really like it for its simplicity and lack of extraneous parts/webbing.  I never thought to mount the free ends so close to the receiver, though.  That looks like it just might be the best way to run it for me.

Thanks, gentlemen, for educating me once again.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Man, I wish Larue had this version when I got my Noveske N4. Guess it's an excuse to buy more Larue stuff. I am a fan (after trial and error) of the two-point setup.  I use a CQD sling mount up front with a BFG QR shackle attached to the DSG Israeli style sling, also made by BFG.  In the rear I have the HK hook attached to two coated wire rope pulls by ITW Nexus that are placed inside the front hole on my stock.  I've beat this up a bit and it holds.  The QR on the shackle is Velcro'ed to the elastic to keep it out of the way but accessible. here are some crappy pics.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/croz3212/sling.jpg
Sling as worn over armor.  Controls/port are free of clutter, something I could never achieve over the years with a three-point.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/croz3212/slingrmod.jpg
Sling during transition to pistol.  Two-point pins primary well when rolling the rifle inboard during switch.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/croz3212/transitionmod.jpg

The DSG sling works well going to weak-side when you hit the SRB, which gives it more length.  I'll be trying the Vtac soon.

Sorry for the hijack, I started out  just wanting to say how cool the new rail is.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Just recieved my new larue 9.0 today straight from larue. It has the quick disconnect feature.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll try it out for you even though I've butchered up my BFG sling.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im impressed with the ability to stop the sling swivel from rotating. Is LaRue the first to do this?  Any chance of them coming out with just a rail mounted sling mount with this ability?

Yes and yes.

Quoted:
So when can I buy one?

This afternoon I saw a bunch of 9.0s, and 12.0s and the 7.0s were coming off the mill.  And...all LaRue handguards from this time on will have the new sling-swivel feature.

w00t! I put my order in this AM.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Me Too!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Though I'm not a lefty I think you'll like it alot.  One nice thing about the close in two point set up is the weapon will hang much like a carbine with a 3 point but without the sling piece running along side the weapon.  I also learned from a VERY QUALIFIED individual to hang the sling around the back of your neck alone when doing weak side transitions/shooting.  Instead of switching your grip and firing hand simply shoulder the weapon on your weak side and look over and into your sights.  

You will expose your body far less than you might think and since your light, laser, etc. are set up for strong side shooting you wont have to worry about it since grip does'nt change.  It was awkward at first but I've gotten darn good at it and it makes things fast as hell.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I also learned from a VERY QUALIFIED individual to hang the sling around the back of your neck alone when doing weak side transitions/shooting.  Instead of switching your grip and firing hand simply shoulder the weapon on your weak side and look over and into your sights.  

So how do you know in advance you're going to have to do a weak-side transition?    "Train like you fight" would then dictate you run the sling around your neck all the time, but that doesn't sound like a good idea...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I just got one of the new LT 9.0's for a build. The new swivel connector is first rate and a nice edition to an already great rail.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/New%209.jpg

Do you have any in stock for sale? Your site still lists them as back ordered.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So how do you know in advance you're going to have to do a weak-side transition?    "Train like you fight" would then dictate you run the sling around your neck all the time, but that doesn't sound like a good idea...

Why?  Afraid of hurting your neck, being hung?  Valid points but it is far easier to duck out of a sling looped only around the back of your neck than your body not to mention QR buckles.  The only time you need to sling the weapon differently is when fast roping or other tasks where you'd prefer to not have the weapon on your chest, so ya' do it all the time.

Also, it takes a fraction of a second to put your left hand (for righties) down through your sling and it's on your neck only. or vice-versa and it's slung back over the shoulder.......transition at will.  

With the sling attached two point like discussed above it will hang like a three point whether its around your neck alone or over your shoulder.

Anyway,  It's just one more way of doing things.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just got one of the new LT 9.0's for a build. The new swivel connector is first rate and a nice edition to an already great rail.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/New%209.jpg

Do you have any in stock for sale? Your site still lists them as back ordered.

Not yet, but am accepting back orders.

C4

Send all the older style LaRue rails back to Grant he has time to drill holes in all them for us.  He`s just a nice guy.  What free new swivels too what a guy......................

Disclaimer:  this is an unconfirmed rumor and is not to be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I want my 13.2!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I scanned over 4 pages of this thread and I appear to be the only one who does not like a sling swivel there, or anywhere permament on the rail.  
That swivel mount hole is where my hand and KAC rail panel goes.  I do not want my panel moved forward to make room for a hole I have no interest in using.
I liked the larue RAS the best until now, but I would not buy this one.  I like just rails only, I will place my accessories where they work best for me.
Larue did have a good idea engineering the sling swivel not to rotate 360 degrees.  The sling swivel rotating and twisting the sling is one of the reasons I do not use the swivels.  JMO...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:04:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I scanned over 4 pages of this thread and I appear to be the only one who does not like a sling swivel there, or anywhere permament on the rail.  
That swivel mount hole is where my hand and KAC rail panel goes.  I do not want my panel moved forward to make room for a hole I have no interest in using.
I liked the larue RAS the best until now, but I would not buy this one.  I like just rails only, I will place my accessories where they work best for me.
Larue did have a good idea engineering the sling swivel not to rotate 360 degrees.  The sling swivel rotating and twisting the sling is one of the reasons I do not use the swivels.  JMO...

Uh - you do know you can still just mount your rail cover there, and not use the sling mount?  You dont have to move your rail panel forward... just flip i so the keeper is forward.  Why would this improvement keep you from buying it, since it would make zero difference to your tastes?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:05:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Tag for next project
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh - you do know you can still just mount your rail cover there, and not use the sling mount?  You dont have to move your rail panel forward... just flip i so the keeper is forward.  Why would this improvement keep you from buying it, since it would make zero difference to your tastes?

This is true. It won't affect how you like your setup.

C4

Uh - this is not true.  I only use the Knight's Armament rail panels that have the metal clip.  I think they are the best quality panel covers.  If I clip on the front end of the rail, then that does not leave me any room to place anything on my rail in front of my hand.  Also, I prefer the midlength rails over the carbine.  The extra 2 inches of sight radius and rail space is preferable to me.  If I clip the full length rail panel to the front of the rail, it is not long enough to even reach the back of the rail where I place my hand.

So I guess this does make a difference to my tastes, huh?  Maybe this means that I am actually capable of making a rational decision on how I prefer to set up my gear on my rifles.

I still think the Larue RAS' are the best, so hopefully Larue will continue to offer the RAS' without the sling swivel hole so I can continue to buy them in the future.  I won't buy them with the hole.  There are others available that do not have it and will let me place my gear where it works best for me.  JMO...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Uh - this is not true.  I only use the Knight's Armament rail panels that have the metal clip.  I think they are the best quality panel covers.  If I clip on the front end of the rail, then that does not leave me any room to place anything on my rail in front of my hand.  Also, I prefer the midlength rails over the carbine.  The extra 2 inches of sight radius and rail space is preferable to me.  If I clip the full length rail panel to the front of the rail, it is not long enough to even reach the back of the rail where I place my hand.

So I guess this does make a difference to my tastes, huh?  Maybe this means that I am actually capable of making a rational decision on how I prefer to set up my gear on my rifles.

Actually, no.  It means you still dont understand what we are talking about.... and dont fully understand how KAC covers work.     KAC rails can COVER THIS HOLE and mount in the EXACT PLACE you want them.    By flipping the rail cover clip forward... you can mount it fully rearward, as if this sling hole didnt even exist.  Allow me to demonstrate:

Your desired config, with KAC rail panel:

KAC rail panels can be placed in any position on the guard.  (duh)

On the Larue with the new mod, all you have to do is move the metal clip end FORWARD, like we said, and then you can slide the panel cover OVER the sling hole and run it just like you always did:

I still think the Larue RAS' are the best, so hopefully Larue will continue to offer the RAS' without the sling swivel hole so I can continue to buy them in the future.  I won't buy them with the hole.  There are others available that do not have it and will let me place my gear where it works best for me.  JMO...

Any questions?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
FALARAK's post was excellent, but since I have the new 9 and a 11 Rib KAC panel I thought I would add some more pics to help illustrate.

C4

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/New%209%20with%20KAC%20Panel.JPG

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/New%209%20with%20KAC%20panel1.JPG

Hey, it looks like you have one on hand! Send me the details for payment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FALARAK's post was excellent, but since I have the new 9 and a 11 Rib KAC panel I thought I would add some more pics to help illustrate.

C4

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/New%209%20with%20KAC%20Panel.JPG

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/New%209%20with%20KAC%20panel1.JPG

Hey, it looks like you have one on hand! Send me the details for payment.

I actually have a couple on hand, but they are not for sale.

C4

Oh come on Grant I saw the e-bay add for $10,000 each.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
On the Larue with the new mod, all you have to do is move the metal clip end FORWARD, like we said, and then you can slide the panel cover OVER the sling hole and run it just like you always did:

Any questions?

No questions at all.  You are wrong.  The reason why I will not use the rail you have illustrated is off topic, so I will not discuss it.  The Larue rail does not have cutouts for the metal clips at each slot, only at the ends.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top