Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 7:46:22 PM EDT by HK_DUDE]
I have done the whole 24" varminter type rig and grew tired of it and sold it. Now I want to build another target/varmint rifle, but I want to make it more "tactical"....I'm just a poser, I will not actually be engaging human targets in the sand box or anything, but I still want it to shoot good...but on a budget.

I want to retain my sight picture after shots through my scope. I could do this with my 24" bull barrel, but I want to go shorter. Should I go heavy barrel with a brake or bull.

P.S. I want to go 18" with a midlength gas system and I will throw a full length railed HGs on it...most likely YHM due mostly to price. I will use a low pro gas block under the HGs.

Also.....If I go heavey barrel with a brake (I am leaning that way) would the 18" barrel from white oak armory be a good one? For the price......that is. If I go bull barrel, I will go with the RRA 18" varmint profile SS barrel.

P.S. I am aware of the added noise and blast of most brakes, but that won't be a real issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:56:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 8:59:06 PM EDT by Specop_007]
I'd do a 18" White Oak barrel if it were me.

If you dont want rails on your foreend, J&T has a nice aluminum free float for 40 bucks. Thats what I use, but I'll be swapping it for the JP free float as I want rails and I think the JP looks badass.

What kind of brake are you going to go with? I need a brake and havent decided what to go with....Thinking JP.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:59:34 AM EDT
A 16" White Oak, with a Vortex fitted is calling my name, personally.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:40:10 AM EDT
This is the brake that I am going to try. I currently have it on my 16"er but I have only test fired it. It sure seems to take all the rise out when you are just standing and shooting..gotta do more testing from the bench.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:03:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:
I want to retain my sight picture after shots through my scope.

MGI Rate/Recoil Reducing Buffer
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:11:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:01:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4Madness:

Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:
I want to retain my sight picture after shots through my scope.

MGI Rate/Recoil Reducing Buffer

I watched their cool videos and didn't see any difference in muzzle rise between the standard and MGI buffer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:26:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 7:32:49 AM EDT by AR15barrels]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:32:38 AM EDT
You are going to loose a bit of accuracy with that brake

The gas is vented asssmetrically, which will disturbe the bullet as it passes by.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:44:39 AM EDT
Tag
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:08:16 PM EDT
I ordered a 18" WOA SS barrel from Steve at ADCO (I love those guys...talk about fast shipping and customer service...top notch) I desided to get the one with the full length gas system instead of the midlength.....just looking at pics, I like the look of the exposed GB at the rifle length.

I'll let you know how it shoots when I get all my parts.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:25:06 PM EDT
I would go with the WOA barrel.

See, BRD hit me bad... I found out my RRA barrel did not have M4 ramps... no biggie, it still feeds 100% with the M4 reciever... BUT.

I can get a WOA barrel and a stnd reciever and swap'em. Then I have a precision upper!

GOD MY WALLET HURTS!

Also, I agree with the AR having little muzzle rise/flip to begin with. Its only during bumping do I notice the rise after about the 5-6th shot. NO brake/flash-hider either.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 7:59:34 PM EDT by Green0]
I have experience with RRA's DCM SS 1/8 and it was 1/3MOA.

Based on that and me not having any whiteoak experience given those options I would go with RRA.

A Rock 5R wouldn't be much more, and though I have no experience with them as my Rock 5r isn't here yet, I would be confident going with the 5R as the whole precision crowd seems to back the Rock barrels.

I would do a Vortex and MGI RRB. that will give you accuracy and with the weight of your rifle and a SS match barrel recoil shouldn't be a problem. My 16inch fluted HBAR with H-buffer and KAC QD comp sits level when fired. The reticle jumps maybe two inches at 100yds from the Harris Bi-pod in a prone position. It's the weight in my case but the RRB should go one better users report 5inch full auto groups at 50yds. <obviously it cuts muzzle rise.
Top Top