Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:10:05 PM EDT
Looking for any and all shops that can dissassemble an upper and turn a heavy barrel to government profile. So far I know of Adco, anybody else?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
ADCO
AR15barrels.com
Kurt's Kustom

I've had work done by all 3 and can recommend their work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the FSB have to removed from the barrel for this? I have a permanently attached FH.

Same question, but for fluting?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ADCO
AR15barrels.com
Kurt's Kustom

I've had work done by all 3 and can recommend their work.

Thanks for the recommendations
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does the FSB have to removed from the barrel for this? I have a permanently attached FH.

Same question, but for fluting?

Yes for profiling... it has to go in a lathe and spin.

I don't know about fluting, but I have both and prefer profiling for cost and weight savings.  I've never seen any advantage in the two fluted barrels I've owned over the three profiled ones.

Any of the guys mentioned can also remove your permanently installed flash suppressor for a little extra $ (maybe $20 or $30) and then install a NEW one after they're finished.

For that effort though, it might be cheaper to replace your barrel with the profile you want and sell the old one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I kind of have the same question.  I have a post ban Bushmater A3 20" HBAR that is just too damn heavy.  If I have the barrel threaded and reprofiled, whill I notice any difference in accuracy at 1-300yds?
What has to be done to thread it to govt. style.  There is a smaller profile at the end of the barrel, is this what gets threaded?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
For that effort though, it might be cheaper to replace your barrel with the profile you want and sell the old one.

Unfortunately MRP barrels only come in one profile. ;)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately MRP barrels only come in one profile. ;)

Well now you didn't mention that the first time

They actuall DO come in more than one profile, but only in different barrel lengths...  The 16" is .750 I believe and the 18" is more like SPR profile (.840-ish).  

I know this because Zak-Smith told us so

If your barrel is a mid-length, and your barrel profile is medium (.750-ish) then you'd probably only shave off 4 ounces by going with A2 profile... It would be noticeable, but would it be worth the expense?  Only you can answer that.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I kind of have the same question.  I have a post ban Bushmater A3 20" HBAR that is just too damn heavy.  If I have the barrel threaded and reprofiled, whill I notice any difference in accuracy at 1-300yds?
What has to be done to thread it to govt. style.  There is a smaller profile at the end of the barrel, is this what gets threaded?  

To thread it the muzzle will be turned down and threads cut to 1/2"-28 pitch. I don't know about the gas block diameter section and end of barrel on a Bushmaster, but if it's HBAR the section under the handguards will be turned down on a lathe to a smaller diameter. This is where  most of your weight is.

For me I want to have this done on a RRA mid-length barrel, it's pretty dang thick under the handguards.  Right now it looks like the job would cost me $100-150 for dissassembly, machining, and refinishing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For me I want to have this done on a RRA mid-length barrel, it's pretty dang thick under the handguards. Anybody know how noticable this difference would be?

It will be be over a half of pound of weight savings, but less than a full pound.  If I were to guess I'd say around 0.7lbs of steel would be removed.  You will notice it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, I just got a 16" barrel instead so now I have "options."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top