Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 5:45:40 PM EDT
Hi everyone, im a newb. Any woo... im looking an affordable ar-15. Preferably one that is economical but not cheap thrown together. I have been looking at olympic arms. They have a GI carbine for 650 dollars and others around $740. I cant afford a colt or armalite, and the bushmasters are just out of reach for me. So im not trying to be cheap but work with what i got. So i guess im saying id really appreciate any help and information that could be given to me.

thank you
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Olympic arms has been in the AR business for a long time... They are very economical and should give you many years of reliable service...

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get a Stag or GTS lower from Denny's.  Both are made by CMT and top notch, just with a different logo.  I'd get an upper from Eagle Firearms or Bravo Company (the BCM uppers are top tier).  Then a stock from any of the vendors here.

GTS lower- 104
Lower parts kit- ~65
M4 stock- ~70
Eagle Firearms Super light carbine upper complete- 429 (BCM uppers are a little bit more)
Rear Iron sight- ~90 +/-

Total- 758

With shipping costs this will be a little more, and maybe above your Oly price range, but the product will be VASTLY superior.  If I were you I'd save a little more and get something quality over get a crappy Oly AR for only slightly less money.  Additionally, if you get used parts off the equipment exchange you could possibly build something even better for less.  There are plenty of good deals out there, you just need to look a little bit.  Welcome to the disease, let us know if there is anything we can help you with.  Remember, there are no stupid questions.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought an Olympic Arms K3B AR-15 and I love it.  I've layed it next to several RRA's and Bushy's and I can't tell the difference.  The fit and finish of the weapon is very very good.  I've ran tons of rounds through it and never had a single problem.  It's a very nice weapon.

I got mine from Carrico'z Armory....they had the best prices by far.  I got my AR for about $200 less than my local dealer had it for.  

Here is the website...    http://carricozarmory.com/index.htm

Buy an Oly, you will love it.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would get a Stag or GTS lower from Denny's.  Both are made by CMT and top notch, just with a different logo.  I'd get an upper from Eagle Firearms or Bravo Company (the BCM uppers are top tier).  Then a stock from any of the vendors here.

GTS lower- 104
Lower parts kit- ~65
M4 stock- ~70
Eagle Firearms Super light carbine upper complete- 429 (BCM uppers are a little bit more)
Rear Iron sight- ~90 +/-

Total- 758

With shipping costs this will be a little more, and maybe above your Oly price range, but the product will be VASTLY superior.  If I were you I'd save a little more and get something quality over get a crappy Oly AR for only slightly less money.  Additionally, if you get used parts off the equipment exchange you could possibly build something even better for less.  There are plenty of good deals out there, you just need to look a little bit.  Welcome to the disease, let us know if there is anything we can help you with.  Remember, there are no stupid questions.

+1.  this is the way to go.  follow the recipe above.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#5]
thanx for the words of wisdom everyone. and yes i do have the disease. im just a little overwhelmed right now!!! i appreciate all the advice. if there is anymore to be had please bestow it on me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

GTS lower- 104
Lower parts kit- ~65
M4 stock- ~70
Rear Iron sight- ~90 +/-

Total- 758

No mags?  Shouldn't he get mags?  He should get mags.  USGI mags.  Lots of 'em.  And fill 'em up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GTS lower- 104
Lower parts kit- ~65
M4 stock- ~70
Rear Iron sight- ~90 +/-

Total- 758

+1.  this is the way to go.  follow the recipe above.

ar-jedi

You forgot to add to that price the transfer fee, 30 round mag, sling and padded rifle hard case that you get with with the GI OLY package...  

Oh, and another thing that you forgot to mention, which one of those parts manufacturers  that you have listed offers the Lifetime Warranty on the carbine after it is built? Is it GTS or Eagle Firearms?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

GTS lower- 104
Lower parts kit- ~65
M4 stock- ~70
Rear Iron sight- ~90 +/-

Total- 758

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]
IS it possible to change the sights on the GI carbine by Oly to the a2 configuration from the A1. Thank you all for your help. I appreciate everyones unique perspective and i think it is giving me plenty of ideas and leads to follow up on
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Most AR parts are interchangible to build is the cheapest followed by Olympic then DPMS.  It should also be noted expensive ARs have a habit of not feeding cheap ammo or non-brass.  You want cheap get an AK.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
IS it possible to change the sights on the GI carbine by Oly to the a2 configuration from the A1.

The only way to change it is to replace the upper receiver with the A2 type or flat top with A2 DCH...

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
the lower itself is just a housing for the parts, imo no warranty needed on that obviously.

the upper from eagle im sure they will take care of any problems if directly associated with the upper.

i have built several rifles and none have needed any warranty some were built much cheaper than what an oly cost and imo a much better end product. the hard case is crap and bulky which is usually replaced or thrown away anyways and mags i dont consider in the purchase of a rifle, hell when you buy complete you only get one anyways.

personally i would never buy a oly rifle but then again i have the ability to build my own.

not trying to start a shit storm but the options with the ar15 are damn near unlimited and choices up the wazoo! keep researching before you buy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IS it possible to change the sights on the GI carbine by Oly to the a2 configuration from the A1.

The only way to change it is to replace the upper receiver with the A2 type or flat top with A2 DCH...

there are also kits in which you have to gunsmith on but not the best or cheapest route.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

there are also kits in which you have to gunsmith on but not the best or cheapest route.

OK, I know your just pointing out other possibilities, but lets get back to reality here...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the lower itself is just a housing for the parts, imo no warranty needed on that obviously.

the upper from eagle im sure they will take care of any problems if directly associated with the upper.

i have built several rifles and none have needed any warranty some were built much cheaper than what an oly cost and imo a much better end product. the hard case is crap and bulky which is usually replaced or thrown away anyways and mags i dont consider in the purchase of a rifle, hell when you buy complete you only get one anyways.

personally i would never buy a oly rifle but then again i have the ability to build my own.

not trying to start a shit storm but the options with the ar15 are damn near unlimited and choices up the wazoo! keep researching before you buy.

I'm kind of like that with certain other brand AR's too... Like for instance, I would never buy a complete Bushmaster or RRA AR...I build off of their lowers but would never consider one of there completed factory builds...

And for the warranty, Shit happens, even with new parts... Just because it doesn't happen to some doesn't mean it wouldn't happen to others...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I know your just pointing out other possibilities, but lets get back to reality here...

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Thanks.  

True, Oly does have a lifetime warrenty, but then again, TONS of people on this board have had to use it.  Sure, other manufacturers put out lemons from time to time-BM sure has been getting a bad rap here lately-but it seems like pretty much all the other companies have been taking care of their lemons, regardless of what their warrenty is.  All of us know from personal experience and reputation the dealers I listed and how they treat their customers.  It would be laughable to think that Eagle, Bravo Company, GTS, etc would not bend over backwards to fix problems...we all know that's just how it is with them.  

I've used/owned/built complete guns and parts guns from pretty much all the manufacturers we see on this sight: Armalite, Bravo Co, BM, Colt's, DoubleStar/J&T, LMT, Oly, RRA, etc.  Oly did not measure up in MY PERSONAL opinion.  There are other brands in that list that I favor over others and I'm sure that others probably slipped my mind.  It has been my own experience, however, that has led me to feel the way I do.  Maybe I came across a little too forceful with my opinion, but that's all it is.  It's how I feel though, Oly lovers can buy Oly...I can buy what I like.  I love this country.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm kind of like that with certain other brand AR's too... Like for instance, I would never buy a complete Bushmaster or RRA AR...I build off of their lowers but would never consider one of there completed factory builds...
i love bushmaster lowers, lpk's and bbls. the rest probably cmt or upgrade parts. not really fond of rra but do have some of their parts with no problems. also have quite a few bushmaster complete rifles that i paid a little more than what the oly from above is going for and imo thats worth it. everyone has their opinions and favorites which makes the ar industry so great.

And for the warranty, Shit happens, even with new parts... Just because it doesn't happen to some doesn't mean it wouldn't happen to others...
agree that shit happens but i have yet to deal with a dealer here that wouldnt back the products they sell unless it was damaged intentionally or through pure ingnorance.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's an option for you.  Should make you a decent economical poodle shooter.    
Essential Arms lower
RRA or Stag LPK
Del-ton or M&A Parts complete upper w/ bcg
may need a stock kit
some D&H mags
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here's an option for you.  Should make you a decent economical poodle shooter.    
Essential Arms lower
RRA or Stag LPK
Del-ton or M&A Parts complete upper w/ bcg
may need a stock kit
some D&H mags

why essential arms? forged lowers can be had for just as much and the blemished superior lowers are going for much less.

why not just get a complete kit from delton or model1? comes out a bit cheaper than buying the lpk, stock and upper seperate.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Upper:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=257306

Lower:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=311790

Pin together and you're ready to go!  You could also save a few bucks by buying a stripped lower and putting the parts together yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top