Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 5:22:38 PM EDT
I recently picked up a like new condition COLT chrome bolt that's marked MPC... The extractor spring is 3 coil and has no rubber buffer insert... Is it safe to say that it is more than likely all original?

Any idea about the year that these type bolts were introduced and when they were discontinued?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
1965 was the last year Colt's shipped rifles out with chrome bolts.  Chrome bolts from factory original rifles were marked P or MP.  The MPC marking started in 1967.  So the odds of that bolt being original are not very good.

There are rumors that a batch of full chrome bolt groups were issued in Vietnam in 1968 to the 1st Cav Division as replacement parts (at about the same time as the buffers).  If true, and they were current production (1968) they should have been marked MPC, with the M & P run together.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Ekie, your the man I've been waiting to hear from

Great info and it helps out a lot... It is marked MPC with the M & P running together... It is also a dull chrome, not real shiny like a trailer hitch... With it having the 3 coil extractor spring without a buffer insert kind of made me think it was one of the first bolts produced... But since your saying that the MPC is late model, I now realize its not what I had originally thought it to be... Thanks for the information and your help...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ekie, your the man I've been waiting to hear from

Great info and it helps out a lot... It is marked MPC with the M & P running together... It is also a dull chrome, not real shiny like a trailer hitch... With it having the 3 coil extractor spring without a buffer insert kind of made me think it was one of the first bolts produced... But since your saying that the MPC is late model, I now realize its not what I had originally thought it to be... Thanks for the information and your help...

Can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can you post a pic?

I can try... Not sure how well it will turn out though... Give me a few and I'll see what I can do...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
1965 was the last year Colt's shipped rifles out with chrome bolts.  Chrome bolts from factory original rifles were marked P or MP.  The MPC marking started in 1967.  So the odds of that bolt being original are not very good.

There are rumors that a batch of full chrome bolt groups were issued in Vietnam in 1968 to the 1st Cav Division as replacement parts (at about the same time as the buffers).  If true, and they were current production (1968) they should have been marked MPC, with the M & P run together.

Ekie,

Bigger Hammer's pic of the early chromed bolts shows one with simply an M on it.  It is also the way my own chrome bolt is marked.

Comments?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Can you post a pic?

Sorry Scott, can not do... I have a cheap camera that will not take close up shots that are clear... If I had a little sun shine outdoors this evening I might of been able to snap a decent one but as for the indoor shoot, it just aint happening...

I recently got some advice from Stickman about what type camera to get for these type of pics... Hopfully within a few weeks I'll be able to make that happen...

Oh well,  Im gonna toss the bolt back into the parts box, until next time...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ekie,

Bigger Hammer's pic of the early chromed bolts shows one with simply an M on it.  It is also the way my own chrome bolt is marked.

Comments?

Got a link?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I think this is the one he is refering to... www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/boltgenesis.html
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think this is the one he is refering to... www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/boltgenesis.html

That one is marked MP.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I seen that too... I cant find any other pics at that site showing a chromed bolt with just an M on it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I seen that too... I cant find any other pics at that site showing a chromed bolt with just an M on it?

Me neither, nor have I seen or heard of such a thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Where do you see a "P" on that bolt?  You talking about the smudge behind the locking lug? If that's a P, I'll put a smudge on mine in the same place and call it a P.

My bolt has an M in just the same place, and nothing else. BTW, the M appears to be an etching into the chrome, rather than a stamping prior to plating.

And no, I still don't own a digital camera
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you see a "P" on that bolt?  You talking about the smudge behind the locking lug? If that's a P, I'll put a smudge on mine in the same place and call it a P.

My bolt has an M in just the same place, and nothing else. BTW, the M appears to be an etching into the chrome, rather than a stamping prior to plating.

You are wierd.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are wierd.

Because I have a chromed bolt w/just an M on it, or because I don't own a digital camera?

There may be other reasons to consider me wierd, but I haven't shared any of them on this site, so it's got to be either one or the other of the above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top