Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 2:56:16 PM EDT
My barrel nut seems frozen.  I am trying to change my barrel and I have soaked in WD40 for 2 days now.  no help.
Any suggestions?  thanks
Bill D
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat.  Start with a propane torch.  Heat the barrel nut slowly and evenly.  Then try to twist it off.  If not, heat more.  If the propane torch is not enough heat, step up to a MAPP torch, but be careful.  Remember, slow and even heat.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Heat.  Start with a propane torch.  Heat the barrel nut slowly and evenly.  Then try to twist it off.  If not, heat more.  If the propane torch is not enough heat, step up to a MAPP torch, but be careful.  Remember, slow and even heat.

+1

Just be careful you don't sizzle your snizzle...

In other words, wear leather work gloves, don't get burnt...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Put the upper in the freezer for 3 or 4 hours. Make sure you use a receiver block to hold the upper. If you use bbl block's to hold the upper, the upper may roll over the index pin on the barrel and you will have a bitch to get off. Been their,done that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
It is a Bushie.  I have about 9 thousand rnds through it.  Prbly contributed to the problem.  Bill
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#6]
First thing in heating it is to de-grease it with Brake Clean unless you want a flaming upper, also you need to have a barrel vise since it will burn a plastic upper vice clamp.

Welding gloves and a good barrel wrench does help out as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top