Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2006 9:26:11 AM EDT
I bought a used lower and after I got it home and inspected it more, I noticed that the FCG was installed wrong. The trigger spring was on top of the trigger instead of below it, so there was no tension on the trigger...Anyways when I took the hammer out, I also noticed that one of the hammer spring legs was cut off. I'm guessing that the person I bought it from tried to make the trigger lighter and cut the wrong spring. Is it safe to shoot around 200 rounds with only one hammer spring leg / half the strength of a normal hammer spring. The spring fuctions fine and passes the function test, it just has alot lighter spring tension. I'm guessing that it will increase recoil but should be fine to put a few rounds through it. I'm planning on replacing the spring but I'd like to go to the range in a few days and worry about it later.

Also, the FCG is Bushmaster and the trigger is a little gritty. Anyone have any tips to smooth it out with a dremel or file? Should I dremel the contact areas of the trigger and disconnector or just one of the two? Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:39:05 AM EDT
Sounds like someone atempted that bullshit "15 minute trigger job" and dont know how to follow directions...

I recommend replacing the hammer and trigger springs just to be on the safe side...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 9:43:41 AM EDT by shamayim]
Cutting 1/2 the leg off of one of the hammer spring legs is the recommended way to do the lightening job. I tried it once; and while all the center fire rounds went off, when I put my .22 conversion unit in, it wouldn't touch off the .22s reliably. So I went back to the stock springs.

I use a very fine polishing stone to smooth out trigger/hammer contact surfaces on ARs. Get the pocket type that puts the finest honing edge on a blade. That'll smooth out the factory roughness w/o cutting thru the surface hardening
Top Top