Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 12:18:13 PM EDT
I just picked up a new YM chrome NM bolt carrier for my Bushmaster M4A3 and have some questions. The gas key seems to not have been staked on as I see no marks.....Should I stake it myself? Also I was told to just pull the bolt out of the orginal carrier and put everything in the YM carrier and no head spacing would be needed.....? A friend runs this bolt carrier in his Colt LE carbine for 3-gun and loves it. I was worried that the lightened YM bolt carrier might not have the mass to strip rounds off the follower all the time but he says it works great and gives you faster follow up shots. Is this YM chrome NM bolt carrier the sh_t or what?  Thanks......Trapfan.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like you just bought an expensive carrier for the wrong reasons

if i remember correctly the dealer stakes teh carrier keys when shipping, according dennysguns i believe.

keep the bolt with the barrel and yes it can be used with the ym carrier.

is the carrier you bought a lightened model? the chrome one i had was actually heavier and what most actually prefer.

i personally would not have paid the money for the carrier for a m4
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent $100 for it. The carrier seems to not have as much stock in it as the orginal bolt carrier did so it seems lighter. On the bolt carrier that can be seen in the port window it is marked YM NM with "MADE IN THE USA" on the back part of the blind side. Eklikwhoa said keep the bolt with the barrel and it can be used with the JP carrier.....Is this a JP carrier or YM? As long as the new carrier runs 100% and will not tear things up in your opinion I would use just for looks alone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
for whatever reason i had jp in my head when typing.

just swap over the bolt and give it a go. i will say that match carriers are built to tighter tolerances and in some situations it isnt a good thing. great for match type rifles but for defense a std carrier is probably best.

i had a young match carrier in my recon build and it was heavier than the std carrier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top