Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:20:29 PM EDT
Just in from LW last week. LMT Upper and Lower with LW/ARM-R Conversion. Click to enlarge pictures.

This should give you guys a good idea of the gas system components and how they interface. Notice how the carrier key is now dovetailed into the carrier. Details, details. Piston cup has 3 ports. All components are very well finished and very robust. ARM-R is tight, light and rigid. There is a slight mismatch at the rail barrel nut clamp?? Overall, IMO, this is the new standard for AR's. Worth the wait(7 mo)? Hell yeah!

Check out how that FP-10 beads up on the carrier. Teflon baby!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:30:17 PM EDT
That is an awesome looking set up, Tornado.

You should be very proud of her!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:50:06 PM EDT
SWEEEEEET! I have been thinking about one of these. Thanks for the pics! That is a sweet looking rifle!

IDHunt
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:50:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:31:53 PM EDT
Thanks guys. Broke her in with about 200 rds of Wolf last Friday afternoon. Not a prob, even shot it without the upper rail cover. You cannot see the piston move its such a quick stroke. It would be cool to watch it in slow mo on a high speed video. I also ran some 45 gr Ballistic Tips mixed in the mag. No Probs.

After (2) 30rd mags I swithed out the standard carbine buffer (note: not a heavy) with an Enidine and did not experience any lock back issues after the last round. The Enidine dampened recoil considerably compared to the standard buffer. It will probably stay in the gun.

Observations: less heat in the bolt group, rounds ejected about 6 feet-7 feet at the 2 o'clock, carrier and bolt were very, very clean compared to a standard gun (remember this is wolf ammo), ARM-R rail appeared to allow very good cooling, no gas in the face( I am left handed). I did not even consider cleaning the piston assm. All I did was wipe the bolt and carrier down with some BF and run an OTIS down the bore. She is ready to go again.

If you are in the market for a piston upper consider this setup from LW.

T
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 2:09:31 PM EDT by Wackypeacock]
It probably shoots this good at 50 yards:

I'd rather wait for the ARES knock off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:47:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 8:48:44 PM EDT by LeitnerWise]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:50:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wackypeacock:
It probably shots this good at 50 yards:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/bulletholes.gif

You must be on the Shrike waiting list too, right?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:47:46 AM EDT

I was thinking it was more of a 300m grouping!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:01:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 223Rem:

Stupidly, YES!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:40:12 AM EDT

oooh a gluten for punsihment

After getting things hot with rapid doubles and strings of about 3 30rd mags and a 20 I did try to put some rounds on paper. Combo standing and leaning onto my range bag. LMT BUIS as shown in the pics. Groups were less than 1.5 inches. Trigger is stock LMT (gritty), barrel is stock LMT 1/7 chrome lined.

Per LW the Noveske would be like a laser beam compared to my setup but it will still get the job done.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:50:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 12:38:43 PM EDT by 223Rem]

Originally Posted By 223Rem:

Stupidly, YES!

Doh! So which of the following describes how you feel?

without the aid of some vasoline

ETA: Sure is a neat drawing of ARES Short Stroke Piston . Reminds me of the crap you could buy from Bazooka Joe if you sent $399 in along with 40 gum wrappers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:42:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 10:43:02 AM EDT by Gimme_A_Carbine]

How about checking the accuracy of your spelling and grammar before knocking the accuracy of a product.

ETA-I really want a LW conversion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:43:45 AM EDT

So are you saying the Emperor's New piston I mean ARES will have better accuracy potential?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 2:42:39 PM EDT by Wackypeacock]

Originally Posted By Gimme_A_Carbine:

How about checking the accuracy of your spelling and grammar before knocking the accuracy of a product.

ETA-I really want a LW conversion.

Mr. Carbine Sir,

Sorry if I improperly spook the Queens proper English.

I blamed it on the beer and spell deprivation

Mr. Ridge,

I not slamming Ares or LWs system, I'm just slamming the whole following behind the latest fad. The military may test and even purchase a few thousand of these conversions, but in the long run the military rather have a totally different bird, i.e. SCAR or an extensive conversion similar to “Z” mans creation.

Sorry, I'm just sick of these con-artists riding into town, playing their flute, watching and waiting to see who follows. It's like the Grim Reaper enthusiastically wait for death.

The worst con-artists out there are PLW, followed in close second by Mr. G. Herring.

These guys need a good tongue lashing from all patrons of the SHOT Show. Who know, I may fly down and start a picket.

No more rant.

wp out.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:46:50 PM EDT
It looks like the piston is external with no enclosing structure to keep out debris and to keep in lubrication. The spring area looks especialy vulnarable to sand, "gunk", and corrosion. This is only from looking at the pictures. I for one would prefer a closed system like on a FAL.

Just my observation.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:00:42 PM EDT
Tempest.....why not come to SHOT and see for yourself. Heck....you might even get an invite to the shoot but that would depend on whether PLW was flaying his pipes/

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:32:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:46:48 PM EDT
Paul,

The day will come when the UK authorities catch up with you. What I speak is the truth.

Speaking of the truth, what ever happen to your monolithic quick barrel master piece? Are you going to play the flute regarding that monstrosity? It's been a while since I heard anything about it.

I wonder how long it will be before Herring mimics your abortion and markets it as a "new invention" under the ARES banner?

wp
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:54 AM EDT

It probably shoots this good at 50 yards:

Okay, well anyway.....

LW5.56CP Stock w/ ARM-R

Notice the vertical stringing
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:30:19 PM EDT
You had the rifle canted at 90 degrees......it's obvious.

You can't fake it.....

Simon
Top Top