Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 10:21:23 AM EDT
First time caller / long time listener (talk radio humor)I've got a Stag Arms lower with which I would like to do "something different". Thinking about a 7.62 upper. Need info. ie: is this upper as accurate as the .223 platform. My BM will shoot 1 MOA at 100. Will the 7.62 get close? Who makes a decent upper in this caliber at a decent price-just looking for carry handle 16 to 20" barrel? What about mags. I've seen 10 round mags only at Model 1 sales, does anyone do extended? Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,
I already have a pistol caliber upper-.40 in Olympic with .41 AE mags. Works great, just seeing if the 7.62 would be worth it. I will check into the 6.8 mm-don't reload, is ammo readily available and if so how many arms and legs does it cost?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
These guys all seem to be very happy with their 7.62x39 uppers.  Of course, most of them have AR47 lowers which solves the magazine issue, but the uppers are identical.

I don't know what happened to DPMS making Franken-mags, but I was under the impression they had started back since the fall of the AWB.

Aside from DPMS, you can also get 7.62x39 uppers from Del-Ton, Model 1 Sales, and JT.

It's down the list a ways, but I'd like to build one in this caliber.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
For the love of all that's holy

if you want to build a 7.62x39 AR make SURE you run it on an AR47 lower

Hi Cap mags will not work with the magwell setup on an AR15 lower

Barry
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Who shot the Colt factory 5 round mag? Are they reliable?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry double post
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Model 1 Sales 7.62x39 upper and it shoots about 2-2 1/2 MOA. It feeds everything I give it. I have a handfull of the 20 round Frankenmags and they work slicker than snot. The round works well on deer and I've had no issues.

Finding high capacity mags is the only real issue with 7.62x39. The Franken mags are the only high capacity mags that work well (top of mag is straight wall like and AR mag but the bottom looks like a AK mag. There out there but you gotta keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Who shot the Colt factory 5 round mag? Are they reliable?

The Colt 5 shot mag that came w/their version of the rifle was nothing but a standard 20 roiund .223 mag, w/a 7.62 marked floor plate, and an internal block to keep you from loading more than five.  Worked just fine-----and so will any 20 round AR mag.

In fact, if I remember right, the regular, unblocked, 20 rounders will actually do OK with 6 rounds.  Beyond that, the body taper of the 7.62 round starts causing problems
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#10]
The DPMS runs fine.  DPMS is making frankenmags again.  When I bought mine, I posted the price and part number, so it is in the archives somewhere.  The frankenmags are well made and run like gangbusters!!  They hold over 30 rounds, but I can't count much higher than that.  

I have heard that the bolt will eventually break, because a bit of material is removed to allow for the larger case, but it hasn't happened to me, yet, and if it does, I won't mind buying a new bolt.  

I can hit the silhouette targets out to 300M with the irons on a 20" bbl.  Groups were very reasonable, but it has been a long time since I punched paper with it.  I don't see the AR platform as a bench rest rifle, so I don't get hung up on sub MOA groups, particularly with cheap Ruskie ammunition.

Get one, it is well worth it!!!  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#11]
OK. With a little more research, I have found that Oly also makes a 30 carbine upper that uses M1 mags. I have 2 M1's and beaucoup mags-this looks like an option. Any word on how this setup works / shoots for accuracy? I think this would definitely qualify as "something different". Thanks in advance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top