Run, Forest, run!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Run, Forest, run!

+1
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I overheard one of the salesmen/reps at a gunshow today how Bushmaster is a bunch of crap and that their shit basically doesn't stinkhey. I didnt even look his way after i heard what came out of his mouth.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, here's the history behind GunSmoke.  Back in the early days of the first generation of this board, about the time frame of the first gun ban, everyone was scrambling for parts.  There was NOWHERE near the variety of products and suppliers that there are now.

When Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt were out of parts, or they were just sky high crazy expensive, GunSmoke had deep deep stock.  They made a small fortune charging just under the going street price (which was a higher than retail at that time due to the rush of the ban).  They sold most of their stuff to members and posters here on ARFCOM.

Well, as the parts started to come in, the post numbers racked up, and QUICK.  Seems that they were NOT A, B, or C parts, but reject junk.  Complaints followed, words were exchanged, and then it got UGLY UGLY UGLY.

The end result=lots of good people got taken on bad deals for bad parts and GunSmoke was banned from the board for life.  The same thing happened on a few other boards, for all the same reasons, too.

I have no idea what they do now, as they've basically been a fringe element in the AR world ever since.  YMMV.  You pays your money, you takes your chances.  Figure if someone isn't selling here, either they're too stupid, or too shady.  Take a look at the top of the page here, even ArmaLite and Bushmaster are board sponsors.  They know which side of the bread their butter is on!

Tom  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I see them here at S. Fl. gunshows from time to time. The one guy always looks hungover.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The end result=lots of good people got taken on bad deals for bad parts and GunSmoke was banned from the board for life.  The same thing happened on a few other boards, for all the same reasons, too.

I have no idea what they do now, as they've basically been a fringe element in the AR world ever since.  YMMV.  You pays your money, you takes your chances.  Figure if someone isn't selling here, either they're too stupid, or too shady.  Take a look at the top of the page here, even ArmaLite and Bushmaster are board sponsors.  They know which side of the bread their butter is on!

Tom  hr

Good to know info. Ill think they'll still make money due to not everyone knowing the full story behind them (which i didnt know) and alot of new guys that dont do their homework might be taken in by them if they are not careful.h
Khem
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
WoW i Just did business with them for patches only and was thinking of doing other stuff with them thanks for the info on them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Old memories .

Here is my "Gunsmoke" Bushmaster Fluted barrel, I bought back in the day before Gunsmoke=Dirt.

It's a good barrel, cost me $243 for the barrel kit.  I'm glad I didn't buy a complete parts kit though .
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a 1/7 twist M4 barrel from them which is a raity for a Bushmaster.  I then heard a member got his upper with a Bushmaster barrel but all other parts were the cheapest he could find to assemble the upper and it was sold as a complete Bushmaster upper by Gunsmoke.  I immediately changed my order to barrel only and got it but talking on the phone with whoever was on the other end made me feel weird about dealing with them... I dont even know if that makes any sense and I cant remember what exactly made my skin crawl when talking on the phone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
talking on the phone with whoever was on the other end made me feel weird about dealing with them... I dont even know if that makes any sense and I cant remember what exactly made my skin crawl when talking on the phone.

Had exactly the same reaction in my one converstion w/the guy. This was back when I was putting together my first home built piece and I needed a few odds-n-ends.

Got what I ordered. Stuff looked like DPMS. Never called 'em again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#11]
This needs to stickied.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I specifically ordered a "Bushmaster" Dissipator upper from him, and he gave me an upper with a DPMS barrel. No problem with returning it though.
Needless to say, I don't trust him at all. I will never deal with him again.
I also saw (2) instances of other rifles he built that both had FTF type problems.
Upon further examination of both of these guns, I noticed that he didn't properly stake the screws that secure the gas key on the bolt carrier.
One of them wasn't staked at all, and the other had stake marks inside the screw head (in the hex portion), so we couldn't even tighten it up.
Buyer Beware !!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I only dealt with Ed once and didn't have a problem, I believe you guys though.  However to be fair re: gas key not being staked, seems even to this day some venders are still sending out unstaked gas keys on bolt carriers.  I got a Smith Enterprise chrome bolt carrier from Brownells, since I always check the state the gas key (from having seen too many fail to cycle on non-Colt carriers used by others), I at once noticed it had no stakes at all.  Use couple of drops of red loctite and kind of "fixed" it.  I don't blame Brownells, they can't check every part that goes out, can you imagine the man power needed for that?  I am curious though as to why SE would not stake their gas keys
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Dude does look hung over ALL the time,I stop and talk to him just about once a month at local gun shows,he sold me a crappy action block that broke in the vise and scratched up my brand new barrel assembly,I had one of his lowers also,I had to give it away,no one wanted it,it didnt give me any problems though.Spikes tactical in Orlando Fl.,Is a stand up guy,I had a problem with a Bushmaster bolt, I put a few hundred rounds on it,and he handed me a new one with a smile,if you were looking for a local seller,hes pretty good,at all the gun shows
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this still the general sentiment around here? The AR Pistol forum of  this very website has a link to their website for barrel purhcases.  I ordered a Vortex flash hider from them just last night.  Their price was about $10 cheaper than anyone else.  What's with the Trident logo, is the guy a SEAL or a poser?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dude does look hung over ALL the time,I stop and talk to him just about once a month at local gun shows,he sold me a crappy action block that broke in the vise and scratched up my brand new barrel assembly,I had one of his lowers also,I had to give it away,no one wanted it,it didnt give me any problems though.Spikes tactical in Orlando Fl.,Is a stand up guy,I had a problem with a Bushmaster bolt, I put a few hundred rounds on it,and he handed me a new one with a smile,if you were looking for a local seller,hes pretty good,at all the gun shows

+1000

I was at the last Lee County gun show, gentleman at Gunsmoke showed no intrest in speaking with me, (stood in front of his booth 3-4 minutes while he joked with another vendor) I did not know about the backstory of this company, I now thank him for his disinterest in my patronage.

On a side note;

Walked by Spike's booth, (Who I have spent vast amounts of hard earned money with in the past and should have just dealt with in the first place.....)purchased Spike's fluted heavy upper with S.I.R. rail, yankee hill front sight, and a number of other items, and they threw in a hat!he
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Run, Forest, run!

you've been warned
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Gunsmoke Lower with the SEAL logo and it works just fine, however they are not the best company to deal with. Fortunately I did not buy my lower from them but a third party.
The lower from GSE is of very good quality and mates perfect with my Bushmaster uppers. Finish is compareable to Mega and Stag, deep black and no tool marks. I am convinced GSE does not make/finish their own lowers. I've put about 1K through the lower and it works flawless.

I may have just gotten lucky!

ETA: +1 on the guy at the shows looking hung over all the time!
I would avoid dealing direct with them at the least!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is this still the general sentiment around here? The AR Pistol forum of  this very website has a link to their website for barrel purhcases.  I ordered a Vortex flash hider from them just last night.  Their price was about $10 cheaper than anyone else.  What's with the Trident logo, is the guy a SEAL or a poser?

Let us know if you get a real Vortex or another knock off.  I saw his "vortex" at an FL fun show last year.  Not the real thing at all.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let us know if you get a real Vortex or another knock off.  I saw his "vortex" at an FL fun show last year.  Not the real thing at all.  

Received it in the mail today and it looks as if I got screwed.  Yes I got a knock off.  There's no "Vortex" to this thing, it has four prongs that are cut in the same manner as the prongs on a Vortex however, these are straight as an arrow.   This was advertised and sold as a "Vortex Flash Hider" and shipped via U.S. Mail.   Im thinking mail fraud here.   Is "Vortex" a brand or just a design that anyone can make themselves?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Vortex G6 is the model. Smith enterprises is the brand. Here is what an actual smith vortex looks like

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Vortex G6 is the model. Smith enterprises is the brand. Here is what an actual smith vortex looks like

www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/Vortex%205%2E56mm%20Flash%20Hider.jpg
www.globaltactical.com/axami/img/prod_lo/280.gif

That's what you are led to believe you are buying however, that's not what you get.

Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer whom sells the Smith Vortex?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what you are led to believe you are buying however, that's not what you get.

Thanks

I don't mean to go off-topic too far, but to answer your request,
I just recieved an order from PK firearms, great service, great prices...

www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=62

Thomas
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#24]
When I was at the last Gun Show with Azmond, the drunk guy at the GS booth was talkin smack about Spike's Tactical. He said they stole his lower logo idea and that their stuff was crap.
Like Azmond, I have purchased items from Spike;s Tac and they have always been of the best quality.

I think he was talkin about himself. Drunk as he was.........

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Wes Grant at MSTN has Vortex G6's I believe.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Wes Grant at MSTN has Vortex G6's I believe.

Wes and Paul are great guys to deal with and you can't go wrong with them. Big +1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#28]
they have vortex's in stock at GTS or ADCO. both Denny and Steve are great to deal with
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top