Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 10:54:17 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster 16" carbine that I have had for a very long time that has always served me well. It has been a wonderfully reliable weapon with no malfunctions that were not traceable to magazine problems. It has been to training classes and has served as my home defense weapon faithfully for many years. I am mostly a pistol guy and don't have the opportunity to fool with rifles much in a practical sense.

Lately the death of the AWB has made me think that getting another upper for the rifle would be a good idea, especially one with a flat top on which I could mount an Aimpoint now that they can be had in the non-neutered versions.

My initial idea was to buy a basic M4 profile Bushmaster A3 upper (no carry handle), put on a durable BUIS, put on a rail system (most likely one of the Surefire rail systems that seem to be nice pieces) and use a regular Bushmaster bolt and carrier.

I know that companies like LMT have recently begun introducing some well received products that are worthy of a look, so I am taking suggestions on what to look at.

I want a basic carbine that is reliable, durable, relatively light and accurate enough to serve as a patrol rifle should I need to employ it in that role, but I personally prefer chrome lined barrels for longevity and ease of cleaning. I don't want to spend 1,500 dollars on gear queer stuff, but if there are options that give significant performance advantages over my original plans, I am all ears.

So I put it to you, learned members of ARFCOM, what do you suggest?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you got it figured out already, nothing wrong at all with what you want to do or what you are looking at getting. As long as it's from a quality maker, like BM yer fine.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My initial idea was to buy a basic M4 profile Bushmaster A3 upper (no carry handle), put on a durable BUIS, put on a rail system (most likely one of the Surefire rail systems that seem to be nice pieces) and use a regular Bushmaster bolt and carrier.

+1

Sounds like you have it already figured out.....Cannot go wrong with Bushmaster...... check with the other Industry partners here also before you commit..... It never hurts to shop around.....

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't do it, you'll spend the next year trying to figure out what optic to put on it!!!!!!! And believe me, it's a rough world in the optics section.

I'm just sort of kidding.  Sort of.

Actually, if money isn't an issue for you, then figuring out which one isn't so bad then.  But it is for me!!!!!  Irons, ammo, and mags are about all I can do right now.

Have fun though, you've entered into a whole new world.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Bushmaster. I have a 14.5" M4 upper with permanent attached Gemtech Bilock and BM bolt carrier group. It is my everyday gun with at least a good 15,000 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I haven't had to replace anything on it. It has even seen some use on my M16 with the swap of bolt carrier group. Also several thousand rounds with a suppressor on it in both semi and full auto.

No issue at all. Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
why not replace the upper reciever on your ar and have the bbl threaded?

would save some money and you still have your reliable rifle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Alrighty then, where is the best place to get my hands on a Bushy A3 upper? Any retailers associated with this site that can offer a good price???
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alrighty then, where is the best place to get my hands on a Bushy A3 upper? Any retailers associated with this site that can offer a good price???

Buy a CMT from Denny or from me...
The CMT receiver is every bit as nice as a Bushmaster, probably nicer actually.
Then send me your whole upper and I will tear it down, thread the barrel and put it back together on the new receiver.
Looking at $85 including return shipping plus the cost of the receiver.

Would it be possible to set the new receiver up to accept a free-float rail system at the same time??
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
If I were you I'd check out the new BCM uppers sold by Bravo Company USA, I just bought one of their new M4 14.5" 1/7 twist uppers the other day and it is sweet, lite and very reasonably priced, (and the sevice there w/ Paul is excellent)

Link is right up top there.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not Bravo Co.?!?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top