Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 7:01:30 AM EDT
I have a set of Midwest Industries MCTAR-17 handguards that do not seem to fit well and I am wondering if you guys have any advice for tightening them. They move backwards against the delta ring and they also have side to side (rotation around the barrel) play. I have heard nothing but good things about MI so I am sure I must be doing something wrong or there is a way to fix them.

What can I do to tighten them?

Thanks for your help,
Matt

PS - They do not fit correctly on either of my uppers (Stag and J&T).
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortuneately that is the downside of using a two piece system.  I too purchased a #17 expecting a solid as a rock feel.  There are some things you can do, but if you want a truly solid platform, I would highly recommend trading in the #17 for the #20 free float.  I just installed it on mine in replacement of the #17 and am very pleased.  For the extra $30 or so bucks, definitely worth it.  Dremeling off the delta ring and such was a rather easy thing to do.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I got an IM from Troy at MI. They are going to help me get this fixed. Now that is SERVICE!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got an IM from Troy at MI. They are going to help me get this fixed. Now that is SERVICE!

My rifle length set is tight as a drum.

Possibilities...

Issue with an out of spec barrel nut. - Probably not since you tried two.
Handguards are not really seated on the nut, and under the delta ring. - But if you have end to end play probabaly not.
Rails are out of spec. In which case they'll give you a new one and make it up to you somehow.

Mine were so tight they wouldn't seat properly and that led to mine having some issues. Once I got them seated properly they didn't move at all.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two sets of the modular two piece ones on two different rifles, all are rock solid. Good luck
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys,

I talked to Troy and he had some recommendations, then offered to inspect and replace it. He was extremely helpful. Anyway, as I was taking them off I noticed that the hanguard cap on my brand new Stag upper looked out of round. I pinched it a bit with channel locks and what do you know... the MI is rock solid.

Lesson: MI rocks! Do not hesitate to deal with them through BravoCompany or G&R Tactical.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought 2 piece MI rail frm Ameetec for my CMMG upper. Put it on and solid as hell.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the delta ring and how do you dremel it off?

I've been looking this evening at FF rail foreends and have seen it mentioned that the delta ring has to be removed.  What's it all about?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Im stoked at all the good reviews of MI. I just ordered some stuff from them, including a 2pc rail. Hopefuly I wont have any problems, but if I do its nice to know they have reputable customer service.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got a set of their 2 peice FF rails for my beowulf, although the end cap does not fit over the barrel, since the beowulf has such a heavy barrel, they FF system is a very nice peice. I am going to try opening up the ID of the cap and make it fit on the beowulf. Other than this i would recommend their FF systems for someone looking for a way to get FF withut having to remove FS/Gasblocks, and not wanting to pay for the more exspensive systems.

YHM 2 peice non FF handguards are very nice also, I have the Non-FF handguards on my Bushy and they are ROCK solid. Im sure MI's are the same if they are like the quality of their FF system.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for the 2 piece rail system.

I was expecting something not of the best quality since they are relatively inexpensive(compared to KAC), but I was pleasantly surprised.  I was extremely impressed with the quality of the rails, and then when I put them on my bushmaster upper, even better.  Not even a hint of wiggle in them.  I threw on my VFG and tried to shake them through that but still, no movement at all.  I would not hesitate to try any of their other products.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1 for the 2 piece rail system.

I was expecting something not of the best quality since they are relatively inexpensive(compared to KAC), but I was pleasantly surprised.  I was extremely impressed with the quality of the rails, and then when I put them on my bushmaster upper, even better.  Not even a hint of wiggle in them.  I threw on my VFG and tried to shake them through that but still, no movement at all.  I would not hesitate to try any of their other products.

Smae here. Mine came in today and there is NO play in them at all. Solid as a rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top