Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 3:26:05 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster 16 inch post ban barrel.  I will be getting it threaded for a  flash suppressor.  Does anyone have a specific favorite and why?  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Phantom 5C2.  It does a lot better job supressing the flash in the dark than the A2 or naked muzzle.  However the "best" for flash supressors is the Vortex.  Plus both the Phantom and Vortex look sweet to boot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
A2 birdcage.  Looks cool.  I just bought a replacement for my post-ban Bushmaster AK Shorty.  Stay away from the AK-style brake.  It is miserable to be around...very loud.  I replaced my AK Shorty A2 upper with an A3 16" with a birdcage flash hider.  Looks great and is not near as loud.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've noticed when looking at the suppressors there is an option to get the peel or crush washer.  Which one do I get?  Whats the difference?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've only used crush washers.  Dont really know much about the peel washers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A2 birdcage.  Looks cool.  I just bought a replacement for my post-ban Bushmaster AK Shorty.  Stay away from the AK-style brake.  It is miserable to be around...very loud.  I replaced my AK Shorty A2 upper with an A3 16" with a birdcage flash hider. Looks great and is not near as loud.

You know, you can purchase a flash suppressor that "looks cool" and suppresses almost all of the flash. For a 16" rifle, the A2 flash suppressor ain't it. It will work well on a 20" bbl but not so on a 16". For a 16", you're much better off with a any of the Phantoms or a Vortex.

There have been tests by board members that have clearly shown (via photographs) that the Phantom and Vortex are the 2 best flash suppressors.

However, if you just want something that "looks cool" and you don't care about function then get whatever you want.

BTW, read my sig line. It says it all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Vortex M249 5.56MM NATO Flash Eliminator

Like the post above, no need to time, just screw it on and go...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
An A2 or the Phantom with closed bottom should need to be timed correct?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've noticed when looking at the suppressors there is an option to get the peel or crush washer.  Which one do I get?  Whats the difference?

Makes no difference functionally.  The benefit of peel washers is they are reusable.  The downside of peel washers is that it is a pain in the @$$ assembling, disassembling, removing a layer of the washer, reassembling, disassembling, etc., until the supressor is timed properly.

The crush washer is easy.  Put it on, torque the flash hider until it is aligned properly, and you are done.  For the $2.50 cost of a new crush washer , the re-usableness of the peel washer is of very little practical benefit.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A2 birdcage.  Looks cool.  I just bought a replacement for my post-ban Bushmaster AK Shorty.  Stay away from the AK-style brake.  It is miserable to be around...very loud.  I replaced my AK Shorty A2 upper with an A3 16" with a birdcage flash hider. Looks great and is not near as loud.

You know, you can purchase a flash suppressor that "looks cool" and suppresses almost all of the flash. For a 16" rifle, the A2 flash suppressor ain't it. It will work well on a 20" bbl but not so on a 16". For a 16", you're much better off with a any of the Phantoms or a Vortex.

There have been tests by board members that have clearly shown (via photographs) that the Phantom and Vortex are the 2 best flash suppressors.

However, if you just want something that "looks cool" and you don't care about function then get whatever you want.

BTW, read my sig line. It says it all.

Funny, I don't see the Vortex or the Phantom specified in the Mil-Spec...  Apparently, the professionals do not agree with you.   'Nuff Said.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I like my Phantom 5C2.  It does a lot better job supressing the flash in the dark than the A2 or naked muzzle.  However the "best" for flash supressors is the Vortex.  Plus both the Phantom and Vortex look sweet to boot.

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
An A2 or the Phantom with closed bottom should need to be timed correct?

Yes, and you will need a crush washer.   But dont get too worked up about this, its easy.  Just place crush washer on threaded portion, put FS on top and crank until its lined up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool, thanks everybody.  I'm a "function" fan more than "AR-looks" so I'm leaning towards the Phantom.  It looks like a quality item and the reviews so far have been good.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Funny, I don't see the Vortex or the Phantom specified in the Mil-Spec...  Apparently, the professionals do not agree with you.   'Nuff Said.

Mil-Spec is not something that is set in stone.  And Mil Spec or not the Phantom and Vortex do a much better job than an A2.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cool, thanks everybody.  I'm a "function" fan more than "AR-looks" so I'm leaning towards the Phantom.  It looks like a quality item and the reviews so far have been good.  

Well...there it is.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You wont be dissapointed, mine has been great.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Vortex or Phantom, Vortex takes a BFA, Phanton has a closed front, either or

BFA?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The "Mil Spec" is not the gospel, not by a long shot. I don't know of any Phantoms that are currently being fielded by any of our military forces but the Vortex is.

Besides, just because the military chooses a certain piece of gear doesn't mean it's the best choice for the task at hand. To think otherwise is naive.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
BFA?

Blank Firing Adaptor.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "Mil Spec" is not the gospel, not by a long shot. I don't know of any Phantoms that are currently being fielded by any of our military forces but the Vortex is.

Besides, just because the military chooses a certain piece of gear doesn't mean it's the best choice for the task at hand. To think otherwise is naive.

+1, basically what I tried to say up above.

Thanks for the BFA clarification Matt.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]
BTW, more and more people are finding that the Vortex slightly helps or, at the very least, doesn't hurt accuracy. Off of the top of my head, it has something to do with the way the the Vortex "swirls" the gases as the round exits the barrel and dissipates them. This info is coming from people on these boards with far more experience than me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They chose me, and I'm absolutely awesome!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Tweak.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#26]
BFA?  Big fat @$$?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Mil-Spec is not something that is set in stone.  And Mil Spec or not the Phantom and Vortex do a much better job than an A2.

Milspec is indeed set in stone.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes no difference functionally.  The benefit of peel washers is they are reusable.  The downside of peel washers is that it is a pain in the @$$ assembling, disassembling, removing a layer of the washer, reassembling, disassembling, etc., until the supressor is timed properly.

The crush washer is easy.  Put it on, torque the flash hider until it is aligned properly, and you are done.  For the $2.50 cost of a new crush washer , the re-usableness of the peel washer is of very little practical benefit.  

Crush washers can be just as big a pain in the ass as a peel washer. If your barrel and FH do not time properly and you have a crush washer you may find yourself over torquing the FH to get it lined up. In this instance you would need to grind the crush washer.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Milspec is indeed set in stone.

Sure, the point is the Phantom and Vortex are better at flash supressing than an A2.  Also I would imagine that if one of our guys in the sandbox wanted to use a Phantom they would find a way to use the Phantom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top