Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 7:44:18 AM EDT
I'm thinking of purchasing one of these but I'm not sure which one to choose.

Is there really a dimes worth of differene between the two?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#1]
the m.i. freefloat is what i would get
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend the RAS, if you can find one.  It is identical to the MI, but it has the added benefit of tensioning against the handguard cap as well as locking to the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't speak for the MI #17, but the MI #20 is much more solid feeling than the KAC RAS.  Both pieces of the MI#20 clamp around the barrel nut via four screws and steel pins align with the barrel nut's teeth to prevent rotation.

I've owned the RAS and mine had a loose bottom halve.  The top half of the RAS locks into place nicely via a clamp on the barrel nut, but the lower half is simply held into place with the delta ring and front cap just like a standard handguard.  Because of this, it wobbles a bit with a verticle grip.

I saw on Operationparts.com that KAC sells an upgraded lower half called the "SAS" lower which solves the wobble problem by adding a second clamp to the lower half.  I read the British requested this lower because their guys didn't like the wobble.  I'm not sure you can get an RAS with the SAS lower however.  I'd hate to think you'd need to buy the RAS and spend more money on the SAS lower.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I can't speak for the MI #17, but the MI #20 is much more solid feeling than the KAC RAS.  Both pieces of the MI#20 clamp around the barrel nut via four screws and steel pins align with the barrel nut's teeth to prevent rotation.

I've owned the RAS and mine had a loose bottom halve.  The top half of the RAS locks into place nicely via a clamp on the barrel nut, but the lower half is simply held into place with the delta ring and front cap just like a standard handguard.  Because of this, it wobbles a bit with a verticle grip.

I saw on Operationparts.com that KAC sells an upgraded lower half called the "SAS" lower which solves the wobble problem by adding a second clamp to the lower half.  I read the British requested this lower because their guys didn't like the wobble.  I'm not sure you can get an RAS with the SAS lower however.  I'd hate to think you'd need to buy the RAS and spend more money on the SAS lower.

I do like the rails that attach like the MI #20, Troy MRF, and Samson MRFS, but I assumed the poster was looking at systems that don't require modifications of the host weapon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

same experience here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all for your input.  I'm going to go with MI.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top