Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 11:22:07 PM EDT
This is the first Ar that I have owned. It's 20" OlyArms K3B-A3.

I have been doing some research on handguards because I want one with rails (for M6, vertical grip, etc.) I decided against the free float handguards because I don't want to go through the work that is required.
So far I really like the Midwest Industries handguards, they seem reasonably priced and I like the markings so that you can place accessories right back where you had them easily.  I also like the ones that extend past the front sight, but I don't know how much that would offset teh balance of the rilfe.

I have also found the ones from Fobus, First Samco, YHM, and a few that were being sold without names.

Before I get flamed, razzed, etc. I did do a search, but nothing useful to "Me" came up when I typed in handguards, or the above manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Your in the right forum, this is tacked  as the 7th thread down from the top www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=172238
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
IMHO, your first instincts on the MI are dead on.  I just received my mid-length set from Bravo Company and am very pleased.  Rock solid.
www.bravocompanyusa.com/Page2.html
They also stock ones from other mfgs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm still leaning toward the MI, but my Local Shop keeper, who is a former Marine recommended the YHM handguards. The only difference I see that might be a determining factor is that the YHM appears to be a composite unit. Anyone have information on this one?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm still leaning toward the MI, but my Local Shop keeper, who is a former Marine recommended the YHM handguards. The only difference I see that might be a determining factor is that the YHM appears to be a composite unit. Anyone have information on this one?

The YHM 2 piece handguard is made out of aluminum, as is the MI handguard. They are both good handguards.

I personally would go with a free float unit, as they are not hard to install. With a vertical grip, you may notice a change in POI when using it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't I have to remove my barrel, and front sight to install a free float handguard? I might be misinformed there. If not , that is what I am trying to avoid. I read somewhere that you could just cut the delta ring off with one of the brands, but why waste the parts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The Troy and Samson handguards are the ones you are talking about.  Cutting off the delta ring assembly isn't a big deal IMO and are fairly cheap parts to replace.  

I have the Samson rifle length 4-rail handguard (thanks for the great price Rob at TalonArms!) teamed with a Recon barrel from Denny on a CMT upper and I LOVE the combo.  You should at least look into the Samson or Troy before making a final decision.  

-X
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
stay away from the M33/M44 plastic ones, they are junk.  I would either get one from YHM, Surefire or MI.  MI would probably be the best one for the price, then Surefire and YHM 3rd
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally got around to ordering the handguards last week. I ended up with the MI#20 from Bravo Co. Great place to deal with. The first package they sent out was mangled by the POst Office and the guards disapperaed from the box. They sent out another set from an email I sent them before I even got a chance to talk to them directly.

I installed them yesterday afternoon. Install was a breeze. Cut off the Delta ring, fight with the springs, and then I had to cut the e-clip off because it was soo tight. Overall I love them. I just wish that the TD grip I bought wasn't so tight. Doesn't seem to fit as other people have mentioned in other posts. I got it where I want it and it seems to be in place, but the lock tabs do not look like they are snappin into place.

Thanks to everyone that helped me decide on these.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I finally got around to ordering the handguards last week. I ended up with the MI#20 from Bravo Co. Great place to deal with. The first package they sent out was mangled by the POst Office and the guards disapperaed from the box. They sent out another set from an email I sent them before I even got a chance to talk to them directly.

I installed them yesterday afternoon. Install was a breeze. Cut off the Delta ring, fight with the springs, and then I had to cut the e-clip off because it was soo tight. Overall I love them. I just wish that the TD grip I bought wasn't so tight. Doesn't seem to fit as other people have mentioned in other posts. I got it where I want it and it seems to be in place, but the lock tabs do not look like they are snappin into place.

Thanks to everyone that helped me decide on these.

Did you mean the MI#22? Your first post said you had a 20" barrel.

I like the way these look to have a continuous rail. How does it lock into place? Is it keyed to the notches on the barrel nut?

Let's see pics when you get a chance. I'm leaning toward the Larue FF myself.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top