Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/28/2005 10:35:03 PM EDT
What are the differences in the Floated vs. Non Floated, and the chrome bore vs the chrome moly (steel) bore?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:15:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dkstang76:
What are the differences in the Floated vs. Non Floated, and the chrome bore vs the chrome moly (steel) bore?

The handguards/tubes are floated to prevent stress on the barrel from slings or other accy. which will reduce accuracy.
Chrome-Moly is the material that most barrels except for stainless barrels are made of. Many Chrome-Moly barrels are chrome lined for a longer life and corrosion resistance. The chrome lined barrels are supposed to be less accurate than a standard Chrome-Moly barrel to some degree.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:31:55 PM EDT
Yeah but what kind of accuracy differences are we looking at?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:59:27 PM EDT
FF v. Non-FF: HUGE!

I was shooting a Colt HBAR and the POI shifted noticably at 200 yards depending on where I rested the rifle on the sandbags.

My FF rifle didn't have a shift i the POI based on where I sat it on the sandbags!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:13:49 PM EDT
FF .vs Non FF can make a one or two MOA shift if you really tighter up on the sling, with heavier barrels deflecting less.

Chrome .vs non-chrome is minimal, anyone who can tell the diference should be using a stainless match barrel.

Just MHO
Top Top