Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/25/2005 4:53:15 PM EDT
I want to buy, or perhaps build, and M4 type AR. I'd like to know the approximate cost (I'm in SC) for an assembled new rifle. I'm open to Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and DMPS?...and pretty much anyone else. I do want quality, but don't want to get ripped off either. I'm also willing to build my own (though I've never done it before), and was wondering if this would cost significantly less than a factory assembled rifle. Also, where would I get the reciever and other parts (I know I'd have to have the reciever transferred thru an FFL), and how much would that run me? Does anyone have any thoughts as to which is the best quality and value for the money?

I'm new to this, so would appreciate any advice you offer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2005 5:21:03 PM EDT by JBowles]
www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=7
/\ A good place to start /\

And My personal preference.

www.cmmginc.com
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:45:31 AM EDT
Personally if you never owned one you should buy one first. If you want to build one you will need to get the tools necessary.
I still have not built my own, but my first buy was a Bushmaster M4. I am very happy with it! I have only fired about 1000 rounds through it of various ammo, no wolf, and I haven't had one FTF or FTE with it. It works 100%.

Since then I have sunk a ton of money into accessories and now I bought another complete custom upper in 20".

Here is a pic of my bushy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:50:33 AM EDT
Like the other fella said. Buy one first so you can get completely familair with the AR-15. Then build one out using choice-parts. That's what I'm doing! (of course I already purchased accessories before the rifle) doh!

The lower is the only part that needs an FFL. Some dealers might be weird about Uppers so choose wisely.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:05:43 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. I already have two Colt rifles, which are the standard 20 inch version. I'd prefer to buy as to build. Right now, I'm leaning towards a couple of Stag M4 varients. From what I've read, they seem to be a good value for the money.

Top Top