Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 7:37:48 PM EDT
  Long story but I was told that I was buying a SP1 Original sight unseen. I checked the SN out and it was a 1982 according to colt, 183XXX.
Lower 1982 SP1
Upper mark CH
Carrier C
Bolt MPC
Telescoping Buttstock with a B not an N on it. ( Bushy?)
Round forearm
sight looks like a C on it no Bayonet lug
Barrel 16" with Flash hider, (4.5"), no markings on it unless under forearm.
It's in Fair shape some scratches. I didn't pay a fortune for it. (Should have known). Oh well, What would be a fair ball park price for this if I were to sell it? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
UMM strange....... I took off the hand guards and there was no markings at all on the barrel. Could it be that someone replaced the Buttstock and cut the barrel down on this gun?? Then added a permanant Flash hider to get it to 16". hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
to cut a sp1 bbl down to 16 would require a lot of work since the sp1 has a rifle length gas system and the 16 would have either a midlength or carbine gas system...meaning a new gas port would have to be drilled and the front sight reattatched.

i think its a homebuilt rifle on a sp1 lower

wouldnt pay but 6-700 for it. another team member here from the hometown(mausermark) paid i think $600 for a used complete/original sp1
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#3]
if you can get pics of it then it would be easier to tell you what you are dealing with
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I am working on the pics.... I have through reseach... IE Big Hammer figured out that the bolt carrier is also real. Pics will be soon... TYhank alot guys...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
WOW just read lasst post.... lol lol lol It was very early. I took some pics but not sure how to upload to message.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#6]
you need to host them somewhere.

go to photobucket.com
upload your pics
copy and paste the img in your reply
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
not a colt expert but i would have to say it is a slapped together rifle.

xm style upper with sp1 lower.

how much are you trying to sell it for?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if I want to sell it.  See, I had talked to the joker that sold it to me. He said it was original. My FFL got it when I was out of town and had it for about a week. I never thought to have him look at it. When I got back I went over to get it.... Open the box and there it was. So, I got scre!@#. Just wonderng how bad lol lol. I might just keep it for a shooter and or project. Also it would be nice to have an Idea what parts might be original and decide if I want to try to get it back to that state.
That upper is a large hole upper so I think it's the correct one.
Butttstock... Bushy??
Bolt and Carrier I think are the Original?? Atleast the carrier is.
Handguards... Wrong??
Barrel no markings anywhere?? Wrong..
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]

colt upper/lower (big hole)
colt bolt carrier

shoot, you can probably work on that and make it 100% colt if you wanted.

I would keep it, but thats me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#11]
 That's where I am leaning. I have only sold 2 guns and wished I would have kept both. Can never have two many. I might spend the $100 to find out from Colt exactly what configuration it came it. Or just buy the parts. I am thinking I will need is the Barrel, Sight , Bayonet Lug, Flash Hider,  and correct Telescoping  Buttstock is all. Just hate going to those Gun Shows though..... Tend to spend so much money.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The stock is not Colt.

Is there any markings on the barrel?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Ya, The stock has to be marked with an N. ANd I looked all over that barrel. Took Hand guards off and there is no markings at all on the barrel. Strange, Makes me think it may have been shortened. No I dea though guessing..hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#14]
It looks like the bayonet lug has been ground off, I live in NY and that's what I have to have done on new uppers (post ban) to make then legal here. We have a state AWB still in effect.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not a Colt expert by any means either, but I've had a few SP1's over the years. To get it back as original as possible it appears you will need a barrel and buttstock assembly. IIRC the SP1 carbines were marked as such, they had "Carbine" rollmarked on the lower. So your's was probably originally a rifle. Coming up with a 20" 1/12 Colt barrel and Colt stock and buffer tube shouldn't be too much of a problem, maybe a little time consuming. Might check with CDNN and see if they still have the Colt buttstock assemblies new for about 39 bucks. Probably have to snag the barrel off of EE, I see them show up fairly often. IMHO, If I were you, I'd just hang onto it, it would give you a good platform to put together anything you might want
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#16]
The barrel is a replacement, probably from DPMS, and the buttstock is a bushie or also DPMS.  Not bad?  Its workable.  You got Colt upper/lower/bcg a collapsible stock.  When you shoot that barrel out replace it with whatever your heart desires.

Shoot it and enjoy it!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ya, The stock has to be marked with an N.

Not true.

A stock of that vintage would be the 2 postion aluminum vinyl coated stock.

They would be marked with an NN inside a square under the latch for Newton Newman.  Some SP1/XM177E2 stocks like this do not have any NN marking.  I am fortunate to have a pristine examples of both of these

Be aware that there are reproduction stocks that don't have the NN marking either.

You can tell the stock pictured is not Colt by the rough finish

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks everyone so far. As for it being a carbine or not.... I didn't no that the pre 1984's had it rollmarked. So these not a Carbine??? Or did the SP2 havew that Rollmark??
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976622263.htm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976660664.htm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976660675.htm
Thanks again for all your help....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
According to the guy at the last gun show I went to its worth 1800 dollars since George Bush Senior Banned them from importation in 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top