Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 6:54:18 PM EDT
Below is my current rifle setup, and a few things on order. The main idea for this rifle is SHTF and reliability. I have read through these forums to collect the info that lead me to buying these parts as well as asking ADCO and Grant at G&R. Both have been very very helpful and great to deal with, and am just looking for things that someone might change or do better when it comes to a work horse reliable AR. Im pretty sure i have some good parts, but looking to learn something i might not know.

Bushmaster pre-ban lower
CMT lower parts kit
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
Battlegrip
O-ring
Wolff extra power extractor spring
CMT bolt carrier group
LMT 14.5" M4 upper
Larue 7.0 FF
Magpul rail panels
KNS antiwalk pins
SOPMOD stock
Phantom 5C2
Wolff extra power action spring
H3 buffer

and on order i have an Aimpoint M3 2 MOA, Larue standard Aimpoint mount, LMT BUIS and a killflash for the Aimpoint.

Is there anything that i could add to enhance reliability? or take away? the use of an H3 buffer & a Wolff extra power spring cause any issues? I dont know, so i turn to those with more experience for advice.

Thanks for any help

EDIT: also planning on getting a surefire, but not sure which to get.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Below is my current rifle setup, and a few things on order. The main idea for this rifle is SHTF and reliability. I have read through these forums to collect the info that lead me to buying these parts as well as asking ADCO and Grant at G&R. Both have been very very helpful and great to deal with, and am just looking for things that someone might change or do better when it comes to a work horse reliable AR. Im pretty sure i have some good parts, but looking to learn something i might not know.

Bushmaster pre-ban lower   Is a "pre-ban" necessary where you live? If so, Bushy's are good.
CMT lower parts kit  Okay
Magpul enhanced trigger guard  I like mine particularly in the winter with a gloves.
Battlegrip  
O-ring
Wolff extra power extractor spring  I did upgrade to Wolff after some frustration with non-mil spec ammo.  This will shouldn't be necessary if you're shooting legitimate mil-spec ammoCMT bolt carrier group
LMT 14.5" M4 upper- I like a midrange upper with either a FF or good two piece rail setup
Larue 7.0 FF  9.0 for the midrange
Magpul rail panels  Okay
KNS antiwalk pins
SOPMOD stock  I perfer the Magpul
Phantom 5C2  A2 Flash suppresor
Wolff extra power action spring
H3 buffer

and on order i have an Aimpoint M3 2 MOA, Larue standard Aimpoint mount, LMT BUIS and a killflash for the Aimpoint.  Good Choices

Is there anything that i could add to enhance reliability? or take away? the use of an H3 buffer & a Wolff extra power spring cause any issues? I dont know, so i turn to those with more experience for advice.

Thanks for any help

EDIT: also planning on getting a surefire, but not sure which to get.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Magpul enhanced trigger guard  .......doesn't do a thing unless you wear gloves but I like it none the less h

Wolff extra power extractor spring  ..........Nice to have as an extra part but I wouldn't change the stock spring for no reason

LMT 14.5" M4 upper
Larue 7.0 FF
Phantom 5C2 ......if you want to go with the m4  14.5" barrel your going to have to pin and weld the Phantom to get over 16" and you would have to do that after you install the Larue 7"er.  Now if the flash suppressor will fit through the Lareu you could use the flip up yankey hill machine sight/gas block because it has a split design.  Or you could use a rail system like the samson or troy.  The 16" option is less of a hassel, that being said I have a 14.5 with a pined and welded 5C2 hug.gif
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info fellas. Ive been thinking about going with a midlength barrel. I am working a LOT this holiday and have bought most of this stuff in the last 3-4 months. If i wasted a few bucks, im not worried. Now is the time when i can do this and want to build it to the hilt while i can. in a few more months, ill be hurting for cash.

Im just concerned that i might have something that would cause an issue. Like the H3 buffer and the wolff action spring. I dont know why i have a red flag in my head now over the use of both togeather, but its there. i dunno, im stupid in the head. maybe ive been wearing this tin foil hat for too long.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
For 99.99999999999999% of what you would want to do with your AR, I am of the opinion that the midrange is the way to go.  It adds a little extra weight but does provide additional rail mounting surface for your accessories.   Let's also not underestimate the coolness factor

Regards,
Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top