Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 5:51:24 AM EDT
I'm thinking I may build an AR-15 this winter. (Probably have many other posts as I go on with this.) I'm at the point where I kind of want one. Plus I need a winter project as the bike's are up for the winter.

A buddy of mine is trying to sell a Colt Match target that he had a CAR stock and 16" barrel put on. He still has the old stock and the 20" barrel and upper. Trying to sell the whole set for $1500, which probably won't happen as it's been down at the gun shop for over six months now.

I'm thinking about offering to buy the barrel/upper from him and the stock as they are about what I'm looking for. That would allow him to drop the price on the gun and maybe have better luck selling it.

Problem is I don't know what it's worth. The barrel probably has less than 100 rounds through it, so it's basically new. What do you think? $300 for the barrel/upper and stock together? Would that be fair?

I assume the Colt barrels are pretty good. Is that a fair assumption? Would a Colt upper fit well with a RRA or Stag lower?

Thanks,

Ben

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#1]
$300 would be great for you

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok.  But bearing in mind that I'm not in the habit of screwing my friends, what would be a fair price?

Ben
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not an expert and am new to some of the prices in general.

Look at it this way;

A new LMT upper without bolt, carrier and charging handle is about 485 from Bravo Co.

Add around 150 for the bolt, carrier and charging handle to 485.

A standard six position M4 stock from Bushmaster is 110+.

I think you might be getting a good deal if you "buddy" goes for it.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Be careful, many of the AR-15's had large front pins and small rear pins...   If this is the case, you'd need to get an adapter for the front to mount on a M16 standard dual pushpin lower receiver.

A Colt upper receiver in mint condition...   you're talking about a pre-ban 20" heavy barrel?  I would assume that it's a standard A2 upper...  $600 would be a fair deal, and slightly below retail market value if it's complete with bolt carrier group and stock/buffer/tube/spring etc...  maybe $450-$500 if it's A1...  

The gun would be worth more in original configuration if it were mint of course...  at least to a collector.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top