Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 10:23:25 PM EDT
Im in the process of choosing a top end for a new AR Im building and while Id like an LMT MRP its just not in the budget. However, Id like to have the next best thing in regard to rigidity + a floated bbl. So far Ive narrowed the field to the Predator and ARMS systems b/c they attach to the upper. I assume that b/c of this they provide a more rigid platform vs those that are only attached to the bbl nut -- since the part of the guard that fits over the rail on the upper is tightly fixed to it. Assuming that's true I don't see any difference between the Predator and ARMS exc in flexiblity w/ rail positioning fixed vs moveable). At the moment I'm leaning toward the ARMS #58 and 16" hvy fluted bbl w/ a shaved gas block. I was planning to install pop up front/rear sights on the ARMS guard it self and an eotech in between. The bit I dont completely understand is what front/rear sight combination to use b/c of the stepped design of the guard. Has anyone done this or know which would work? Also it appears that the eotech should be positioned foward of the upper (from the pics on the ARMS site) which seems like it would leave the rifle somewhat front heavy. Any comments or input would be appreciated. AP

ETA: I should also mention I was interested as well in the ARMS #50 as well. IIRC thats not stepped like the #58 is. Perhaps that might work out better(?) than the #58 w/ regard to pop up sights? I did notice that BM makes an ARMS upper exc w/ the #45 which now seems to be discontinued by ARMS. Does anyone have this upper that would like to comment?

The only difference between the AMRS military and civilian mdls is the the mil allows a floated bbl and the civilian doesn't?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanx for the reply. I really appreciate it. You dont mention though why the Vltor product is preferred over ARMS. It would be helpful to me if you could provide more detail. For instance how is it better than the AMRS product and how would it be configured w/ pop up sights etc? Id really like to understand what Im doing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like more of the top rail of the CAS-V is one piece than what you would get with an ARMS system-- that means something if you have night vision and want to throwlever mount optics forward and monoloc night vision.  

I would like to see a CAS-V made in a lower profile that needs front handguard cap removeal -- and maybe more rails-- they should add polymer accessory rails for light weight flexibility in light mounting-- use the aluminum for the sighting devices and the polymer for accessories.

That's right up the alley for military users though-- no gunsmithing means easy addition to M4 carbines.   I was hoping for the same in an MV-Mod SIR a year ago and they didn't have that-- this is basically that product.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanx, I appreciate you all taking the time to answer. I assume that the Vltor product allows the bbl to free float?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I had my hand on one of the VLTOR products this weekend, courtesy of one of the Arfcom dealers.  I'm searching my budget for dollars for it now.  But of course, with all such things, that means searching for dollars for other things that I'll need along with it!  Egad, this BRD is tough stuff on my bank account!  

All that said, I am very impressed with the VLTOR product.  It seems absolutely rigid and absolutely light at the same time.

Your mileage may vary, but it seemed to be just the ticket to fit my bill, anyway.  

Cheers,

kk7sm

ETA:  The barrel on the VLTOR does free-float.  It uses the existing barrel nut, as well, so much less work to install.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanx for the reply. I really appreciate it. You dont mention though why the Vltor product is preferred over ARMS. It would be helpful to me if you could provide more detail. For instance how is it better than the AMRS product and how would it be configured w/ pop up sights etc? Id really like to understand what Im doing.

Several things I like about it better. First, the rails on the CASV follow the M1913 Picatinny rail spec (notice the TD VG on the rail which won't fit on an ARMS rail). Second, the bottom of the rail isn't made of polymer and thusly has less flex in it.

C4

If you like a loose fit, go with the vltor, I have one and a brand new T/D vert grip is what I would call pretty darn loose, on the lower , rail.. but thats no big deal I also own one with a SIR system, just my 2 cents, rant over.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If we could revisit this for a moment...in my initial post I mentioned the POF Predator HG and no one seems to have said anything about it. From what I can see its a pretty nice setup esp the extended versions. Perhaps someone has one they'd like to talk about? Has anyone mounted flipup front/rear sights on this rail?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top