Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 7:52:31 AM EDT
I have some pics saved and see where you would not want to use a barrel WITHOUT a M4 extension in a upper With M4 cuts. I did a search but I couldn't find the answer.

Would it create any problems if you take a barrel WITH a M4 extension and use it on a upper receiver WITHOUT M4 cuts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Nah, it'll work fine.  There's a really good FAQ for this stuff around here somewhere...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are the pics I have saved. It is obvious that M4 extension will not work with no M4 cuts. There is no pic or talk of the way I asked about.

Why are barrels even made with the rifle, non M4, extension. I don't see much price difference.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
While doing some manual feeding/testing after having my M4 barrel installed (handn't shot it yet), I had a feeding problem so I had the gunsmith just go ahead and dremel out the cuts into my upper receiver for the M4 feedramps (he used a craytek bit). I haven't had a problem since, live fire or otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a really good deal on a upper receiver and I am almost positive it will not have feed ramps, but I can't verify if they have them or not. Most of the barrels I would like to get have M4 extensions.

Quoted:
While doing some manual feeding/testing after having my M4 barrel installed (handn't shot it yet), I had a feeding problem so I had the gunsmith just go ahead and dremel out the cuts into my upper receiver for the M4 feedramps (he used a craytek bit). I haven't had a problem since, live fire or otherwise.

I copied this from the other post I got my pics from
"The only thing accomplished in this picture (not attached by me) was some of the protective hard coat anodizing was removed. This unfortunately, is what many people consider to be “M4 feed ramps”. They are not. "

The pic showed a M4 extension in a non M4 cut upper receiver. It looked OK but I want to make sure I will not have to do this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Tacked to the top of the AR Discussion forum: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733

Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
i have just about 1000rds through this gun with no malfunctions.  it is a colt 1/7 light weight profile with an m4 extension.  it is in a DPMS slick side upper without the m4 cuts in the upper.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If I recall correctly, you can use a m4'ed barrel with a non-m4'ed upper, but it is bad to use a standard rifle barrel extension with a m4'ed upper.  I just had to dremel ramps in a barrel extension for an upper that has feedramps.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If I recall correctly, you can use a m4'ed barrel with a non-m4'ed upper, but it is bad to use a standard rifle barrel extension with a m4'ed upper.  I just had to dremel ramps in a barrel extension for an upper that has feedramps.

I have a Colt Flat top with M4 cut that is used with a BM barrel with no extension and it shoots fine. In fact, it's more reliable than my stock factory Colt carbine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Colt Flat top with M4 cut that is used with a BM barrel with no extension and it shoots fine. In fact, it's more reliable than my stock factory Colt carbine.

Lucky you, did not work for me at all, but I was using 40gr HP varmit bullets that caught everything in the way, I might not have noticed with FMJ's

Thank God for the search feature, as pitiful and weak and a pain in the ass as it is I managed to rustle up this:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733&page=1

All in that thread.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thank God for the search feature, as pitiful and weak and a pain in the ass as it is I managed to rustle up this:

All in that thread.

That took alot of effort there, considering I posted it above............

Here's a tip for ya, "read the thread before posting to it", it'll keep ya from matching the description in the sig line below.....

Mike
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All in that thread.

That took alot of effort there, considering I posted it above............

Here's a tip for ya, "read the thread before posting to it", it'll keep ya from matching the description in the sig line below.....

Mike

Sorry my sarcasm did not come through.....I'll try and ooze a little more next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top