Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 7:14:23 PM EDT
I'm probably getting ahead of myself, since I'm still a few weeks away from purchasing my first AR in 5.56mm (Stag Arms upper and lower, once I get the required pistol permit), but I'm thinking of purchasing a second upper for deer hunting next fall to make it a dual-use firearm.

Who produces uppers chambered in 7.62x39mm?  Minimum caliber in Minnesota is .24 caliber, so I can't use the 5.56mm upper.  Originally I felt the 6.8 SPC would be a better deer cartridge, but the widespread availability of cheap ammo swayed me towards the 7.62x39mm.

What kind of accuracy can be expected from AR's in 7.62x39?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
7.62x39 uppers are a touchy thing. The hardest part is feeding it with a magazine. Since you are using it (solely?) for a hunting upper, a short mag wont bother you. There have been some interesting developements for the military using lowers that accept ar-47 mags. They haven't taken off very well though (prototyes only I thnk).  There are plenty of good makers, just try and find a bargin and I think you will be happy (buy new). Be warry of used ones becuse the ability to use corrosive (cheap) ammo is tempting to many. If used long term withiout the proper cleaning will badly corode an upper.
I think you would be happier with the 6.8 upper. Ammo is getting more available and you wont't be tempted to use the cheap stuff and burn your barrel. Besides, it looks like on eof the "new best things" as they say.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]
To my knowledge, only DPMS is majing 7.62x39 uppers these days, though there may be a smaller outfit or two still offering them.

As noted above, high capacity mags that work are the bugbear of the 7.62x39 conversion.  The only one that has acheived a good reputation are the "Frankenmags" that DPMS is offering again.

On the other hand, if all you're after is a deer hunting mag, the standard 20 round AR/M16 mag will load 5 just fine, and function well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=63
Del-ton sells one but I do not know about how the quality is.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget another option; the 6.5 Grendel.  From what I have read on this site, it might be a good option for your deer hunting as well as self defense......might be just the right upper to slap on your lower  for deer season.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Randall,

What barrels do you have available for the 7.62X39 custom upper? Are they available in stainless or chrome lined. What is the bore diameter in those barrels?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had a couple 7.62x39 uppers and was not overly impressed with either.  One was a DPMS and the other was a Colt.  The Colt was better.  They were accurate enought for deer hunting sure, but not what I was looking for in the end.  If I had it to do over again I'd order a custom barrel in .308" from Randall.  I'd also reload for it for hunting purposes.  

If you're looking for a plinker that can also kill deer that's a decent choice.   If you want some fine accuracy in a caliber that can kill deer I'd vote for the 6.8 or everybody's favorite, the holy grail 6.5 Grendel.  

Silver State Armory offers 6.8 ammo all the time at $12/box of 20.  Remington ammo is coming out more and more- a local shop in the Toledo area has several cases of it!  then there's always the reloading press-if you have one.  That's my choice.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The 6.5 Grendal basically matches the balistics of the good old 6.5 x 55 Sweed, which for some time I have felt is almost optimal for deer.  If I were deer hunting with an AR, that is the way I would go (for what it's worth).

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]
7.62x39 upper bolts break a lot. that, and the mag issues are the two problems. i would skip it. a 300 whisper might be better for this upper. or 6.8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top