Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 8:28:35 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster with the factory full stock on it.

I purched an ACE skeleton stock and set out to install it.  However, I can't budge the top screw in the butt plate on the factory stock.  I'm starting to strip the slot pretty badly, and it hasn't moved a millimeter.

Any advice on how to remove that screw?

Can I remove the whole stock without removing the butt plate?

I'm new to working on my own rifle, so keeping it in those terms would be appreciated, as will any help that you might provide.

Thanks,

Matt
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a BITCH of a time getting that damn screw out of my Bushy buttstock.

You need to chill out, have a drink, and then go get the proper tool.  If you are chewing up the screw (like I did), you don't have a proper screwdriver.

I rummaged through 3 toolboxes in the trunk of my car (was at the range... "the range" being 300 miles from my house) and found a monster flatthead screwdriver.  That did the trick.

Don't strip it... just find a screwdriver that fits.

I'm drawing a complete blank right now, but what are those screwdrivers that don't taper down like a blade... they come to a rectangular point... thats what you need.

- BG
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You need to chill out, have a drink, and then go get the proper tool.  If you are chewing up the screw (like I did), you don't have a proper screwdriver.

I rummaged through 3 toolboxes in the trunk of my car (was at the range... "the range" being 300 miles from my house) and found a monster flatthead screwdriver.  That did the trick.

I'm drawing a complete blank right now, but what are those screwdrivers that don't taper down like a blade... they come to a rectangular point... thats what you need.

- BG

They are called "hollow ground" and are available in several brands of "gunsmith" screwdriver sets.  Midway, Brownells, CTD, B-Square, and many others all sell kits for use on firearms.  They have a changeable tip with a magnetic handle/holder that fits almost every screw used on any firearm.  If one is going to "tinker" with their firearms, then they should have one of these kits to keep from f**king up the screw heads.  Add-ons like a special ratchet and extensions allow use for almost any situation.  

ETA: They even make ones with a hollow handle so you can carry the most used bits with you to the range  (or any other playground, if you are so inclined).

If you are going to screw around, do it safely!

ETA: www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=8&Categoryid=8832&categorystring=649***10398***
www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=69&p=3944
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice.  

Bushmaster also replied:

This is sometimes difficult as the screw has a dab of Nylock thread locker on it. Remove the screw with a large screwdriver with a square shank that fits the screw slot tightly. Use a wrench on the shank of the screwdriver to get extra leverage and the screw will come out.

I've ordered one of those screwdriver sets so as not to botch future projects.

The question now is....since the slot is already been widened some....what can one do to recover if one of those screwdriver bits still doesn't fit?

Would dremeling the screw head off allow me to slide the stock off so I can then just unscrew the extenstion tube?

Just pulling at straws here.

Thanks again for your help.  It is really appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

They are called "hollow ground" and are available in several brands of "gunsmith" screwdriver sets.  Midway, Brownells, CTD, B-Square, and many others all sell kits for use on firearms.  They have a changeable tip with a magnetic handle/holder that fits almost every screw used on any firearm.  If one is going to "tinker" with their firearms, then they should have one of these kits to keep from f**king up the screw heads.  Add-ons like a special ratchet and extensions allow use for almost any situation.  

ETA: They even make ones with a hollow handle so you can carry the most used bits with you to the range  (or any other playground, if you are so inclined).

If you are going to screw around, do it safely!

ETA: www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=8&Categoryid=8832&categorystring=649***10398***
www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=69&p=3944

Aye!  That's the stuff.  They are lifesavers.

- BG
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The question now is....since the slot is already been widened some....what can one do to recover if one of those screwdriver bits still doesn't fit?

You toss the screw and get a new one.

Military TM indicates the buttstock screw is a 1 time use item (TM9-1005-319-23&P p2-65 section 2-17)a.3).  Most of us will reuse them and add a bit of blue loctite.  But if you've buggered up the screw head might as well replace the $3 part.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You toss the screw and get a new one.

Military TM indicates the buttstock screw is a 1 time use item (TM9-1005-319-23&P p2-65 section 2-17)a.3).  Most of us will reuse them and add a bit of blue loctite.  But if you've buggered up the screw head might as well replace the $3 part.

I still haven't gotten the screw out yet.....if the screwdriver doesn't work, is there another way?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
.....if the screwdriver doesn't work, is there another way?

Drill it out or send it to a gunsmith for removal (and he'll drill it out).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Just wait for the right driver.  If you still can't get it out you will probably have to drill out the head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top