Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/13/2005 7:10:58 PM EDT
I just put a low power scope on one of my 16" ARs and the factory front sight base is a blur in the way, so it must go.

What is the best gas block? I want one that is incredibly tough and will allow a folding front sight to get down and completely out of the way. I have a LaRue handguard rail that must not interfere either. The rear sight is one of those Troy's that came out about a year ago.

I was looking at Yankee Hill’s website and they have several different designs that might work, but which is tougher? Should I go with the one with the built-in folding front sight?

These are some I am considering:

All in one with a solid bottom peice:

Solid looking but I would have to add a front sight and it looks like it's too tall:

Is this design weaker without the solid peice on the bottom?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:17:48 PM EDT
I have the YHM Four Rail Gas Block with a YHM fold down sight. Extremely solid gas block. Only $40 or so.

The folding down sight is the weak link and not the gas block. I rarely use mine, just for back up.

Ask any more questions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:07:54 AM EDT
YHM has one with a bayonet lug if that interests you. GG&G has one that's pinned like the original FSB. Then there's Knights if you can find one. I *think* PRI makes one too. Those are the four I can think of.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:58:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:34:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 5:35:33 AM EDT by Big-FED]
+1 on ordering whatever you decide on from ADCO.

The following comments will be probably be flamed by all the folks with FAR greater experience than I have (which is NONE, how is that for honesty?). (But, I do have a mechanical engineering background, among other things.)
I can't remember where I read the article, but one of the primary concerns by AR gunsmiths/armorers (the contributor was Ned Christiansen, I believe) regarding after market gas blocks was the installation method and their associated tolerances. From what I read (no actual experience, period), the clamp on types suffered from more gas sealing issues and eventual degradation of the gas system. They also sometimes worked loose when they were not properly installed, including alignment of the gas ports for both the clamp on and the pin on.

Just my $.02 - $.01 worth. Not taking sides.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:53:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Big-FED:
including alignment of the gas ports for both the clamp on and the pin on.

Whenever I use one, it gets drilled for an index pin and the screws are lock barred down... otherwise I would not own a rifle with one on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:08:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Big-FED:
+1 on ordering whatever you decide on from ADCO.

The following comments will be probably be flamed by all the folks with FAR greater experience than I have (which is NONE, how is that for honesty?). (But, I do have a mechanical engineering background, among other things.)
I can't remember where I read the article, but one of the primary concerns by AR gunsmiths/armorers (the contributor was Ned Christiansen, I believe) regarding after market gas blocks was the installation method and their associated tolerances. From what I read (no actual experience, period), the clamp on types suffered from more gas sealing issues and eventual degradation of the gas system. They also sometimes worked loose when they were not properly installed, including alignment of the gas ports for both the clamp on and the pin on.

Just my $.02 - $.01 worth. Not taking sides.

please dont tell this to my bushmaster superlight rifle which has the clamp on pri front sight cause it has digested close to 10k rds without a single failure and doesnt soil itself around the fsb or its little brother with close to 3k.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:53:24 AM EDT
Strongest would be GGG and KAC because they are pinned.

Weakest will be PRI and YHM that are clamped.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:10:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 6:27:02 PM EDT by Robert2011]

What is the difference between the PRI clamp and set screw versions?

And what is the cross bolt version?
Top Top