Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2005 3:34:16 PM EDT
I saw an ad for a "Tactical Link" sling swivel that sits under the tube.  I searched the archives and don't see it mentioned anywhere.  According to the ad, it is recommended by NTOA.   Has anyone had any experience with these?  I've got an LMT/Crane stock and think that it looks like an interesting single point solution (at least as far as the sling swivel).  The website is www.tacticallink.com
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It was discussed before in the Slings and Other Accessories forum.  I have two X-180 sling mounts and love them.  I can fully close my 6 position CAR stock and still use the mount/sling.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It was discussed before in the Slings and Other Accessories forum.  I have two X-180 sling mounts and love them.  I can fully close my 6 position CAR stock and still use the mount/sling.

Thanks.  I did a couple of searches but couldn't find anything.  Key word selection is an art.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Love it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
So can you shoot from either shoulder without re-slinging or ajusting the sling?

That quality is what I have been looking for.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah. The female part of the link swivels 180 degrees(well..a little less) so transitioning is easy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]
dbltap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Do the 180 and 360 mounts basically perform the same function?  It looks that way from where I'm sitting.

I guess another good question is wether there is a dealer handleing these to deliver a lower cost than $130-- for a sling that's a little steep.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do the 180 and 360 mounts basically perform the same function?  It looks that way from where I'm sitting.

I guess another good question is wether there is a dealer handleing these to deliver a lower cost than $130-- for a sling that's a little steep.

The website shows that the XM-180 swivel mounting hardware is $59.95.  I thought that I'd look at other slings.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe it takes a std KAC QD swivel in which case I could probably just buy the mount and make the sling out of my old reliable CQB solutions sling... HAHA : )

That thing looks ratty as hell now but I love it to death.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The website shows that the XM-180 swivel is $59.95.  I thought that I'd look at other slings.

That thing does look good, and if the price turns you off, Daniel Defense has a very similar product

shows $50 on the web-page, but I saw it somewhere else last night for 30 something

It too is ambidextrous, and works much the way the one the thread opened with does.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#11]
The XM-180 looks different than the DD and seems to be simpler.  The DD looks like the XM-360.  I think I'd rather have the 180 -- unless someone can tell me why the 360/DD type would be better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#12]
The Tango Down is similar but offers a rear position too.

Your stock will not close on the last notch, but the third position will make shoulder transitions smoother then you thought possible.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#13]
The difference between the Tactical link and these is that it(meaning the female end that is attached to the gun) swivels 180 degrees left to right(and vice versa) so theres no need to detach/re-attach it when you transition. It works the same for both sides without changing anything. The male QD nub on the sling also swivels 360 degrees. There's really no comparison between them...they do different things.

Thats the impression I get from looking at the DD and  TD anyway.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cqb_files/cqb_hst.htm

That sling looks like a good way to save $20 and get the same thing..

I'm not sure if I am accurate on this but I'm thinking that the sling loop may not need to move at all to accomplish the shoulder transition.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]
The XM-180, however, comes right off the rear plate.  No additional mounting parts.  Looks like it swivels pretty well.  I want to have a choice in sling type(s).
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I might get the 180 back plate.  

I just have to say ---  GOOD GOSH these people really have high prices though.  $28 for a QD swivel?

T&E? Come on that's generally a product provided at a lower price to give a person a chance to check it out.  Not higher.  

I guess these people must be hoping you'll decide to go for one sling/Swivel on all your rifles to make that even remotely cost-effective.

I've never used a single point-- is it neccessary to have a swivel system to do shoulder transitions?  I would want to use a Specter sling without the wolf hook lead-- IE just a loop through a sling point-- I want to keep this as stable [hanging] as possible for a single point.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I purchase my QD swivel from ADCO Firearms for $15.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
$20 is average

$15 is great
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a crazy idea and ran down to my mini-mill.

I took a KAC QD swivel and realized that the QD swivel base is simply a 3-8ths hole with a .40 or so area about .022inches deep turned to .425.

I grabbed a latch plate and realized that if I drilled two of them 3/8ths and counterbored the second .425 nearly through I would be able to stack them and have a QD swivel mount nearly flush with the reciever-- the QD swivel would actually be sittin in the stock alignment recess.  

Then I rigged a clamp settup and spun up the drill with a 11mm metric bit (a bit I found tht miked like .0430} and tried to drill--- nothing happened.  

I don't know what the hell that latch plate is made of but it might as well have been tool steel.  My bit put a little dimple in it-- thats all.  I had to give up.  (I even had cutting oil on the bit and everything. )
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The difference between the Tactical link and these is that it(meaning the female end that is attached to the gun) swivels 180 degrees left to right(and vice versa) so theres no need to detach/re-attach it when you transition. It works the same for both sides without changing anything. The male QD nub on the sling also swivels 360 degrees. There's really no comparison between them...they do different things.

Thats the impression I get from looking at the DD and  TD anyway.

You do not need to disconnect the swivel on the TD to transition. You shouldn't have to with the DD either. I don't know why that idea came up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I purchase my QD swivel from ADCO Firearms for $15.

1.  What I don't know is whether the Tactical Link QD swivel is unique to its mounting hardware.  I think that at least one of the other mounting hardware mfgs uses an "Uncle Mikes" QD swivel.  I would rather have hardware that was, to some degree, "standard."

2.  My second thought is that perhaps the XM-360/DD/Tango Down versions give the adjustable stock greater strength.  If so, that might be a reason to go that route.

Does anyone know?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know if the TD and DD give added strength to the receiver extension or not. But I do know in testing they suspended several hundred pounds off a TD unit and it held up just fine. Both are very well made and very durable.  The design of the "link" does not strike me as being as robust as either the DD or the TD. It may be fine, but I'd be afraid that it could seperate at the swivel.

Remember that the DD and the TD were designed primarily for people who needed a single point sling, but could not pull the stock to do an install. The KAC is similar to the DD in function, but requires you to pull the stock for the install. The KAC has the smallest footprint. The DD and the TD will not allow the stock to close on the last notch.

If you are ever going to do rapid shoulder transitions with a single point sling you can't beat the TD with the swivel in the rear position. That being said, I'd be happy with the KAC or the DD as well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Eagle Arms has the Tango Down (including QD Swivel) for $59.00.  No gunsmithing required.
www.eaglefirearms.net/tango_down.htm

It is called the "PR-4" ... Tango Down's page:
www.tangodownllc.com/products.shtml (scroll down)

Edited to ask:  Anyone have a picture of the TD installed?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't know if the TD and DD give added strength to the receiver extension or not. But I do know in testing they suspended several hundred pounds off a TD unit and it held up just fine. Both are very well made and very durable.  The design of the "link" does not strike me as being as robust as either the DD or the TD. It may be fine, but I'd be afraid that it could seperate at the swivel.

Remember that the DD and the TD were designed primarily for people who needed a single point sling, but could not pull the stock to do an install. The KAC is similar to the DD in function, but requires you to pull the stock for the install. The KAC has the smallest footprint. The DD and the TD will not allow the stock to close on the last notch.

If you are ever going to do rapid shoulder transitions with a single point sling you can't beat the TD with the swivel in the rear position. That being said, I'd be happy with the KAC or the DD as well.

You are a Devil.  Such pressure!  How to make a decision with Christmas so near?  I like the rounded edges of the TD...would look natural with a Crane/LMT.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Link to my PR4 pictures

So the QD Swivel attaches to the Crane/LMT also?  Is there an add-on that I'd have to install to get the Crane to accept the QD?  I am NOW 99% positive that I'm going to purchase the Crane for my Christmas present.

Second, what do you have the QD attached to on the rail?  Is that a TD product?

Thanks, Lancelot.  I'm glad you live in Colorado.  I think I'd be broke if you lived down here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Link to my PR4 pictures

So the QD Swivel attaches to the Crane/LMT also?  Is there an add-on that I'd have to install to get the Crane to accept the QD?  I am NOW 99% positive that I'm going to purchase the Crane for my Christmas present.

Second, what do you have the QD attached to on the rail?  Is that a TD product?

Thanks, Lancelot.  I'm glad you live in Colorado.  I think I'd be broke if you lived down here.

The TD PR-4 and the DD will fit on any mil-spec tube. So they will work fine with the Crane. I suspect it will fit on commercial tubes too, but I haven't tried. The PR4 is a tight fit on my mil-spec tubes, which is what you want. The pictures in the folder show the PR4 with different stocks so you can see how it looks. So you don't need any add ons for the PR4 to work.

There is a QD swivel base that will mount directly on the Crane stock if you aren't going to use the PR4 or want to run a three-point. If you install both you have lots of options for slinging the rifle. Blue Force Gear makes, or made, a sling that would convert from single point to two point to three point, and used the QD swivels. That way only one sling would do all three modes and you only needed one sling for everything.

The swivel I have on the front rail is by KAC. There is also a similar model made by MI. The MI is less expensive. Both screw on the rail and use the QD type swivels. I need to take some pictures of the MI for comparison with the KAC. The KAC is a bit more robust, but both are great mounts.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have both the 180 and the 360 models, and they do perform the same function.  The way I understand it is like this:  the 180 model replaces the plate on the back of the lower receiver.  The 360 locks in place behind the plate.  Some plates are staked in place i.e. Colts - that's why I have the 360 model on my colt.  I have the 180 model on my bushy because I could take the buffer tube off and replaced the original plate with the 180 sling mount.

I'm not sure how you got 130 cause both mounts only cost me around $60.  But any way, I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Lancelot, I looked into this issue before ordering an X180 from Tactical Link and the whole mount is made from steel, not aluminum like the other mounts mentioned in this thread.  This thing is rock solid, and is good to go.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#31]
"I'm not sure how you got 130 cause both mounts only cost me around $60. But any way, I hope this helps."

Well it doesn't really clarify why the web store prices put two at $130 and you got them for $60.  

$60 for two would be good--  at that price we would all be buying there.   It just deffinitely isn't an advertised price.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
"I'm not sure how you got 130 cause both mounts only cost me around $60. But any way, I hope this helps."

Well it doesn't really clarify why the web store prices put two at $130 and you got them for $60.  

$60 for two would be good--  at that price we would all be buying there.   It just deffinitely isn't an advertised price.  

Well, since agent_zero probably works for Tactical Link, perhaps he can get us an ARFCOM price.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Well it doesn't really clarify why the web store prices put two at $130 and you got them for $60.  

Well, since agent_zero probably works for Tactical Link, perhaps he can get us an ARFCOM price. hr

I think there's two subjects getting intermingled - slings and mounts...  To clarify my prior post, I bought two mounts (one X180 and one Z360) and one sling (Stealth-QRB) and I paid the following amounts:
X180 + Stealth-QRB sling (a combination that TL calls a "Ready Set") for $115
Z360 mount for $64

What I have now is two weapons with a similar mount that I can use with the same sling, and I like that.  Again, I hope this clarifies my prior (maybe confusing) post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top