Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can you provide a photo of dimpling?

Apparently, I cannot.  Even though I am a Team Member, it seems I'm not the level necessary to be able to upload pictures.  I'll attempt to send you a photo via direct e-mail.

I have always used that term to describe adding a small detent 180 degrees from the gas port.

I use it to describe numerous crater-like symetrical depressions cut into the surface of a barrel and arranged in a pattern.

If you don't find a barrel off-the-shelf, I specialize in custom barrels and uppers.
I can make you about anythng.

I've been working with Jason over at JTAC, as he's been the only dealer to extend the hand of assistance, to date.  He already has my FF RAS and gas block.  We're simply trying to locate a source for the dimpling.

What you want is something like a Wylde or Compass Lake 5.56.

Correct.  A Wylde chamber was chosen.

As for the choice in uppers, I don't know why there is this desire for a DPMS receiver.
Go with an M4 ramped CMT.
They are nicer receivers than DPMS.
Realize that I am a DPMS dealer telling you this and I buy mostly CMT receivers for my builds.

The reason was the existing lower for this system is from DPMS.  The upper brand was speced.  Having said that, I've already been authorized to change to CMT just because of the machined-in feed ramps.

If you are aware of anyone who can quote a price and schedule for barrel dimpling, please pass it along.  I can't arrive at a final price for the completed upper from JTAC until that happens.  There was an earlier post to this thread regarding a machinist who can do it.  I've exchanged e-mails with the gentleman, but he's provided no credentials, to date.  I don't imagine sending off a barrel to someone I don't know, will never meet, nor have any knowledge of their skill.  Then again, we're just beginning correspondence.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
As it would seem that dimpling is harder to come by than anticipated, it appears the better way to proceed with this upper would be with an unmodiified barrel.  The idea being, should a source become available in the future, the work could be accomplished at that time.

But speaking finishing, notes from the SHOT Show have introduced UltraCem coatings.  It's new to me, but I wonder about its advantages per investment for an upper such as this one.  Anyone familiar enough with the process to offer details?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You've got to be kidding me.  A customer specs out a gun 6 months ago and you've not built it yet?  Most of the assembly of the components can be done with simple tools out of Brownells.  Are you a gunsmith?  Many of your questions have been answered multiple times across the boards.

The "Dimpling" you are citing (from a Knight's barrel) is done with a ball end mill (on any machine from a Bridgeport to a  Hurco, or a CNC).

Dura Chem UCT coatings have been talked about on these boards as well.  Nothing new.  You would probably do better with Robar NP3.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The "Dimpling" you are citing (from a Knight's barrel) is done with a ball end mill (on any machine from a Bridgeport to a  Hurco, or a CNC).

Now you've done it... cat's out of the bag big time -- up till now everyone thought that process could only be achieved in a zero gravity chamber by 27 laser quided robots running CAM programs downloaded from SipraNET.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Indeed, I'm aware of how it's done.  JTAC Supply has all the components and is building the upper but, to date, has been unsuccessful in locating a machinist willing to perform the work.  With the SHOT Show now passed without locating a source there, it's time to give up on it and move ahead.  That is, unless you could refer Jason to a skilled and willing machinist.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to hear from you again, Randall.  Should I have you and Jason speak?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking forward to the barrel dimpling being complete in early May.  Once I receive the upper I'll look for a host to get some pictures up.  Perhaps some of you may be interested in the process, as well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top