BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...The chambering, 6.5 Grendel, is proprietary so other gunsmiths cannot build or chamber barrels without a licensing agreement with AA.  Scott Medesha is the only smith so far with the license and he sells through Comp Shooting Sports.  

There are no plans to sell only barrels and bolts at this time.

Well that settles it - no 6.5 for me; I'll build a 6.8x43
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How can AA pay for the development if they dont hold license to the technology???

By selling product - like barrels, bolts and magazines....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...The chambering, 6.5 Grendel, is proprietary so other gunsmiths cannot build or chamber barrels without a licensing agreement with AA.  Scott Medesha is the only smith so far with the license and he sells through Comp Shooting Sports.  

There are no plans to sell only barrels and bolts at this time.

Well that settles it - no 6.5 for me; I'll build a 6.8x43

Sadly, I see another superior product that I will not likely own for whatever reason.  

You have your business reasons and I guess I respect them, but I don't understand what the big difference is if you would sell complete uppers or barrels/bolts.  It seems that you at least have a small demand for the components.  Am I to understand that there is some special M4 type feed ramp in the receiver that makes all the magic happen or is the ramp contained solely in the barrel extension.

Hope it changes sometime in the future, but for now my sentiments reflect what Forest said.  Also, I am feeling boxed in because I sense that the 6.8SPC program will cave in without the military support and parts may become scarce.  So I'm effectively left with 7.62X39, 300 Whisper, or some other inferior bigbore caliber upper.  I guess I could pursue the 6.5PPC.

I might consider a whole upper if the FF system options were opened up to products like KAC, DD, LaRue, etc.  Just can't see paying $1125 for an upper with a Predator rail system.

Just my thoughts and wishes.  TIFWIW.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Got my tin foil hat, a bag of popcorn, and my flame suit on.  Forget about it already.  6.5 Grendel did sound like a neat idea, IF I could get one My way. I happen to desire one with a 20" medium weight barrel.  With only one outfit building them there will never be much of a choice.  The aftermarket could make this cartridge/system take off, IMHO.  But a slow start with expensive uppers could keep it from ever being popular.  I would think that if Bushmaster and/or Rock River Arms (for example) sold complete basic rifles (for $1,000)and/or uppers that this would allow the cartridge and system to prosper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If AA wants to keep the Grendel for those who can pay their exorbitant price then so be it. When their sales drop off they will be forced to comply with the wishes of the rest of us or watch their cartridge die.

As for me right now I have all but completed a 6.8mm SPC for about $750. That is for a complete rifle. I can get the parts even if I can't find ammo right now. The ammo will be here it is just slow hitting the market for various reasons, whether speculated or real.

Remington knows that there is a demand for it and it will come. If we shoot it it will survive. That is how cartridges survive- by consumer usage-be it civilian, military or both.

I would like to have a Grendel and it was my first choice. However I refuse to pay the price asked and like many others will not have one till I can have it my way at a price I am willing to pay.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The "SPECIAL PARTS"  seem to include a bolt cast from Carpenter No. 158® Plastic Mold Steel

Carpenter web site;  "Carpenter No. 158 alloy should be considered for jobs which require an extra measure of core strength. It possesses high strength core with uniform mechanical properties even up to 5" (125 mm) thick sections. It possesses highest mechanical properties of any case hardening mold steel."
     And a 4130 Bar stock extractor claw.

2. The 6.5 PPC chamber I did is my secret, no one but two other people, knows my chamber dimensions including the reamer maker (there are ways to do that).  TX65

I would think some one at  SAAMI  or The fine FINS at Lapua might know The super Secret dimention seing as they "moved the shoulder forward..... and thickened the neck slightly."David m. Fortier Book of the AR-15.

I can only see one reason to keep this cartridge so secret, AA doesn't want the big boys BUSHY,OLY,etc etc to steal their niche, or cheapen the 6.5Grendel name with massproduced accurate uppers that (AA)didn't profit from.  Colt didnt bite on the 6.8. But some one with $$$ CAPITAL and mil contracts did  BARRETT. Still outrageously priced. (And some 5TH SF operators MIGHT tell you that they are in service in ASTAN. HMMMMM.)  Model 1 sales also makes a cheap (purchace price)upper that regular humanbeings can buy. I wonder if the fine fellows at Remington are capatializing on MODEL 1  6.8spc upper sales with their hand in MODEL 1's wallett. I don't think so BUT you never know.

I think we all should all do some research, development, T&E. and design our own cartridges and flood the market. So if I want a reamer I can buy a DAMN reamer and if I want a bolt made out of carpenter 158 Someone with bussiness sence will make one so I can buy one too.

If you havent shot mk262 yet, do it! and you can roll your own with readily avalible components.

And o boy the mags work fine and I can Buy a Thousand reamers. And not play LAWER TAG.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the link to the "new" 6.5 Grendel dressed in KAC

6.5 Grendel with KAC accessories

Any chance there are more and better pictures of it?  Damn, I thought I was going to be able to shrug off the urge to buy one...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
"Photo shown is of a complete Knight MK12 Mod 1 in 5.56 NATO for visual reference."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I caught that too late...  I'm an idiot...  Looks like a step in the right direction though...  Especially come November!

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yeah, I caught that too late...  I'm an idiot...  Looks like a step in the right direction though...  Especially come November!

Spooky

Just go ahead and order the damn thing I have no regrets over buying mine
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, people don't know the chamber in my original 6.5 PPC ,,, there is more to the chamber then the case, there are throat angles, clearances all things that go into it. Too short a throat, pressures run wild, too long a throat,,, no velocity,,, wrong clearances,,, it does not feed.... TX65

YAWHN. Sounds Like a CHALLENGE, Dont be suprised if someone nails the DATUM LINE +-.004 or magically finds the Throat lead angle or FREEBORE specs.No clue to who that would be though. WE ARE NOT ALL STUPID AND IMPRESSED WITH THE,    I HOPE I GET A MIL CONTRACT WITH THIS PRODUCT SO ILL PUSH IT ON CIVVIES AND MAKE IT SUPER SECRET PUT IT IN A MAG OR TWO, DO BLACKWATER TWICE, SO WE CAN GET EXPOSURE IN THE MIL COMMUNITY. AND HAVE LAWYERS TO SUE YOU IF YOU MAKE ONE AND DONT BUY IT FROM US.. TO AD TO ITS MYSTERY AND ALLURE.  This is the classic MY BIGWHEEL IS BETTER THAN YOURS. AND IF YOU GET 1 LIKE MINE IM GONNA TELL MOM SCENARIO.

Americans don't like to be told they can't do something.  

PLUG FROM TX65 As far as offering KAC forends and the like,,, there is a complete 20 inch model equipped with Knight MK12 Mod 1 RAS, flip sights, etc already offered. In addition, there is the 185 model with options for Predator and Medesha TAWS FF.

If someone already owns a mk12 mod 1 or 2 parts kit why now spend $1600. On an upper when you could buy a KAC MK12 mod 1 (SR-15 M-5 Match Rifle) complete. All the customer or competetor, or operator or armorer needs is a damn bolt and barrel and some interest from you to play 6.5.

Im not 2 sure why your company went with the PREDATOR (BOB DAVIES RROC) rail hing
   for those of you who think 6.8 and this 6.5 are the only cool cartridges look at the 6XC(David TUBB) or the BARNETT/WYLDE RAT or the 6.5 1 1/2 rebated rim. Don't let the 6.5 grendel become your lazer beam because it is not all that. A 26in barrel in order to make up for crappy internel volume of the parent case. A high BC projectile to compensate for the former PROBLEM. It is good but its not all that.  

Since you have taken like 3 years to develop this thing, where is your flashy PRODAS .6 or .7 BC proprietary projectile?  to go with the proprietary brass? to go with the proprietary bolt? and proprietary barrel extension?  to go with the proprietary"throat angles, clearances all things that go into it."

IF THIS THING GETS A -SASR- CONTRACT ILL BE IMPRESSED. OR IF THIS CARTRIDGE WINS CAMP PERRY ILL BE EVEN MORE IMPRESSED.

LASTLY.
"The 6.5 PPC or 6.5 Grendel are not SAAMI or CIP cartridges."TX65

So the 6.5 Grendel is just a WILDCAT.  No SAMMI approval, no proof loads, no specified maximum working pressure. No standards to conform to. Sounds like a winner. Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So the 6.5 Grendel is just a WILDCAT.  No SAMMI approval, no proof loads, no specified maximum working pressure. No standards to conform to. Sounds like a winner. Good luck.

Perhaps part of the reason that Alexander Arms is carefulling screening authorized builders is that they don't want some yahoo who doesn't know what he's doing putting together rifles using el-cheapo or just plain wrong parts, then publishing his KABOOM all over the web claiming that 6.5 Grendels blow up......

I'm fairly certain that no one is going to sue you if you spec your own reamer and put together your own rifle as long as you don't sell it as a 6.5 Grendel.    It's going to cost you more to do that than to just buy one from AA in the first place, but you're free to spend your money foolishly
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn guys, some of you really have your panties in a bunch. If you don't agree with how the Grendel is being marketed and/or sold then take your business elsewhere or attempt to build your own and deal with whatever repercussions come about, whatever your choice, please quit the crying, it's really sad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
 RANTING NOW OVER!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top