Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2003 12:29:04 PM EDT
Some of you may remember that a couple months ago, I posted reports and questions about poor accuracy from an Oly 16" Stainless Ultra Match (SUM) upper that I had mated to my Colt HBAR competition match lower.

After a good long break in period and much ammo experimentation, I could not obtain sub MOA accuracy as advertised. In an ultra match barrel with a match .223 chamber, i.e. no 5.56 ammo tried at all, that was just not acceptable to me.

Per conversations with OLY, I sent the entire unit back to them, along with my front & rear BUIS and scope mounts attached, in order to eliminate those as potential problem areas.

I contacted OLY today after almost 6 weeks since I sent it back. It is on the way to me as we speak with a new barrel. Rather than try to figure it out and 'fix it' they just replaced the barrel with a new one.

So no end result yet - until I break it in and find the right ammo, but OLY has done the right thing. Presuming the new barrel is sub MOA as advertised, I cannot fault their customer service.

I will supply another update as soon as I can get in the bench time and ammo work.

Mark
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:09:15 PM EDT
I have only had one SUM barrel and NO KIDDING it shot 3/8ths of an inch with 52 grain Sierra match kings. I bought the barrel to trade to a guy and I hated to let it go I tell ya. Cool that OLY is just replacing the barrel. Gonna have to break this one in like the last one. IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:19:11 PM EDT
Well see that is one of the reasons I chose the OLY in the first place, because of those types of reports! I specifically ordered a 1:10" twist to be able to specifically shoot the 49-59g bullets, thinking that 52g loads would be killer. I just got a 20" RRA in 1:8" twist that I will shoot the heavier loads in. But break-in on the new/replacement barrel will be very careful - one shot, clean for the first 20 or so rounds, then 3 shot clean until I get to 100. That should do the trick.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:30:48 PM EDT
That is the way to break one in. When I shot the 3/8ths group I did not have a spotting scope and had just pulled my M1 LR off of my SPR for something to sight with. So when I shot the first shot I saw the shot hole in the white low and to the left. So I simply aimed at the 1 inch paster I was aiming for and cranked off another round. When I didn't see a second hole I thought something was wrong. So I fired another thinking I was completely missing the target. Perplexed I walked down range and as I got within about 20 yards of the target I started to see one ragged hole. Holy Cow was all I could say. It shoots better than my Remington 700 bolt gun. Hated to get rid of that rifle. But I will build another on a SUM barrel. IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:10:44 PM EDT
I have a 20" Oly SUM in 5.56, and it is WAY more accurate than I am. It seems like a sin to be using it with open sights, it will need quality optics for me to ever approach what it is capable of.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:28:19 AM EDT
Stickman, for what it's worth I mounted ARMS #40 and a Mad folding forward site to my 16". This was strictly as back-up because my intention was to use this as a ranch gun, thrown in the back seat ready for quick action. I found the highest mount I could find and put on an Aetec (I think it's a 4x12) so that the folded BUIS fits up under the tube just barely ahead of the occular Bell. The Aetec has the longest eye relief of any scope in that size range that I could find and it gives me maximum flexibility. Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:17:38 AM EDT
I wish oly was back on the site. I am very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:56:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Markbo: Stickman, for what it's worth I mounted ARMS #40 and a Mad folding forward site to my 16". This was strictly as back-up because my intention was to use this as a ranch gun, thrown in the back seat ready for quick action. I found the highest mount I could find and put on an Aetec (I think it's a 4x12) so that the folded BUIS fits up under the tube just barely ahead of the occular Bell. The Aetec has the longest eye relief of any scope in that size range that I could find and it gives me maximum flexibility. Just food for thought.
View Quote
Thanks, I'm still trying to figure if I will steal one of my other scopes, or go get a dedicated one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:39:10 AM EDT
You guys had mentioned breaking in barrels from people like Bushy and RRA. Bottom line is, if the barrel is chrome lined, you CAN'T break it in. Sure, you can treat it with like an FP-10 product as a metal treatment, but the chrome lining is so hard, you get what you get, and that's it! You can't even do a chamber adjustment with a finish reamer if the chamber is chrome lined. This is one of the reasons that the "go chrome or go home" crowd should re-think their philosophy. Not trying to pick a fight, but when you are speaking of accuracy, the LAST thing you need is a chrome chamber and bore.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:58:35 AM EDT
Well said. Thus the SUM barrels are not chromed. The go chrome crowd is rarely after maximum accuracy though. They are after maximum fire power. To paraphrase... "Only accurate guns are interesting".
Top Top