Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/14/2003 4:15:28 PM EDT
I have an Oly Arms Plinker, and am considering either dressing it up with a set of M4 handguards, tactical post-ban muzzle-break, fixed telestock, etc...

Or, perhaps a cheap new upper in a post-ban M4 config.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:38:03 PM EDT
You can put lipstick on a pig, but she's still a pig. Same thing for dressing her up..... The difference between a quality M4 upper, like a Bushmaster, and a cheap M4 upper isn't worth the difference. Or you can pay collectors prices for Colt's. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:22:43 PM EDT
Point taken, but this is just a "fun gun"... I have no illusions of taking this rifle into battle or anything, so that is why I was thinking to keep the price down. I realize that this is the Toyota Tercel of rifles, but so far I have put 2,500 or so rounds through it and it has been great, the only exceptions being a dozen jams(at most) using some crappy lacquered ammo that got gooey from the heat and stuck in the chamber... But even with the crap ammo, it has been 98%... With regular brass ammo, 100%, not a single jam or misfire. That said, I am not opposed to maybe spending some bucks on an RRA Entry Tactical upper, but I also want to get a Mech-Tech CCU conversion kit for my Springfield 1911... I figured I can get a single $600 upper, or perhaps for a few bucks more, get both a cheap M4 upper and the 16" carbine kit for my pistol... I see a lot of items from J&T, Model 1, etc... Any of them decent?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:52:29 PM EDT
I think Oly makes some good barrels, the one included on the Plinker is one of them. The problem is the barrel is too heavy. I would suggest you sent the barrel to Kurt's Kustom : [url]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm[/url] He can turn the barrel down to an M4 profile (skinny under the handguards and the step cut in front of the front sight) or to a gov't profile (skinny under the handguards but without the step cut in front). I would also suggest M4 style feed ramp cuts be installed as well just to improve reliability even more, the very slight extra cost saves you peace of mind. Kurt can also install a muzzle brake to the end or one of his fake flash suppressors. I would recommend the fake flash suppressor, as muzzle brakes amplify sound and make the rifle very annoying. Then you can buy a set of Cav Arms C4 handguards and have a very nice and lightweight carbine setup. Kurt really is the way to go, and his prices are much less than what you would pay just for an extra upper.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:55:06 PM EDT
I know I can get standard M4 type handguards almost anyplace, but does anyone know where one can get a muzzle-break or a mock-suppressor that will fit the Oly Arms Plinker barrel? I am not entirely sure what size diameter barrel it is, or what would fit, and their site is not very helpful... I think I will dress this one up a little bit, and save up for an RRA Entry Tactical upper with all the goodies, and then just keep the Plinker upper as a spare... I will get the Mech-Tech CCU for my SPringfield 1911 now, plus some accessories for the Plinker, and then get the good RRA upper perhaps over the summer. Let me know if anyone has a link to where I can order a muzzle-break for this barrel. I would like one that presses on or has set screws, I have access to getting it welded or permanently attached, that is not a problem... Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:46:15 PM EDT
I like my olympic arms rifle.very cheap and hasn't missed a beat yet.but it does have a purple receiver!
Top Top