Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2003 2:05:30 AM EDT
Well, I've not only successfully removed the Bow-Flage from my gun, but I've turned my KAC grip, SIR lower handguard, and VLTOR from black to a very light grey. I'm going to try to recolor using RIT dye tomorrow, and it should work...

Let this be a lesson to you all... BF remover and plastics do NOT mix!

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Just paint it black with bowflage. [BD]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't think to buy any black
[brick]

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]
What is BF remover made of? acetone? When I was getting ready to gunkote my panels and grip I used acetone to degrease and it left it all pretty white. Try this befroe anything really radical get some (I know this is going to sound silly) armor all and try that first. Not a lot just enough to get the plastic black again then wipe the excess off really well. TRY THAT.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:23:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Krylon baby, Krylon. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
IPSC, I'll have to try the armor all first. If it doesn't work, I know RIT will.

Hawkeye, the Bowflage is better for resistance to IR detection ;-) Or at least that's what I tell myself, hehe.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is BF remover made of?
View Quote

It smells (and works) exactly like liquid wrench.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#7]
And it tastes like ass.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Tasted ass lately Cap'n? [:d]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Hoppe's #9 works well to take off bowflage and it's easier on plastics....  Another option that I haven't tried, but should work, is to soak the plastic parts in a high concentration of simple green.

--Keith
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#10]
WD40 works too. Spray it on heavy and let it soak awhile.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#11]
That's weird.  How long did you have the bowlage on?

I had it on my rifle for about 6 months and it came off with no problems and no discoloring of the plastic (KAC panels and grip, stock)

Of course I used Gun Scrubber to take it off, since I didn't have any BF remover.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Gunscrubber will melt some plastics (like Butler Creek 25rd mags for 10/22's)

That grey is because the plastic has been de-greased.   Try a pure silicon lubricant (you can get it at hobby shops- for RC car bearings.) Not in an aerosol can just a bottle of pure silicon.

apply it and wipe dry, the color will return.

[b]Same applies after bake-on coating a barreled upper, silicon on the upper and wipe dry and it will look brand new (not grey and screwed up)[/b]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tasted ass lately Cap'n? [:d]
View Quote

He's taking to big of a bite.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And it tastes like ass.

-Cap'n
View Quote

I knew that I should have worded that better [:I]

I rubbed it down with CLP earlier and it ended up looking like brand new. Thanks a million guys!

-Cap'n
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top