Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 8:55:34 AM EDT
OK, I know I've seen a list of serial number ranges / date of manufacture posted before. I've already tried the search, but it only goes back 30 days. Couldn't find it in a FAQ either.

One of my freinds recently got a very nice SP1 as part of a trade, and I'm trying to help him figure out when it was made and what components should be original to the rifle. I.E. early no trap or A1 style buttstock, carrier with or without FA notches, and birdcage or three prong flash suppressor. I know Colt used whatever parts were the current style they used on M16 production of the time.

The rifle in question looks original to me and has all the later A1 style parts. Can anyone repost this list for me, serial number is: SP1 637XX.

Thanks,

WpnsMan
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.biggerhammer.net[/url]

The one area this web site does have complete info on is serial number production dates for Colt ARs.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,

After searching more on this site I found the same info. Looks like it was made in '76 so the later A1 style parts would be right for the time frame. He thought it might be an early piece, but I was sceptical as all the components seemed to look original to the rifle. Though he might go for the early look anyway, as we have no trap buttstocks and three prong suppressors in our horde of parts. I did tell him however, that an early no notch carrier would be difficult/expensive to acquire. Although I hear DPMS ocassionally makes them, but doesn't advertise them in their catolog.

Thanks,

WpnsMan
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Early look is cool.  Right now there are a ton of milsurp parts on the market and if he wants the three prong suppressor and early butt stock it's a good time to pick them up.

There are at least two guys over on the Equipment Exchange board who are selling the early butts at extremely good prices.  I've dealt with both of them and gotten very good pieces and good service from both.

You are correct about the early unnotched carriers prices. I put together a copy of the early Air Force M16 awhile back and did find a chromed  original Colt bolt/carrier assy.  Paid more for it than I did for the barrel[:D]

Was I your buddy, I'd probably go ahead and get the early butt and suppressor.  That he can do for less than $40.00.  I'd just go ahead and swap those pieces out, and live with it for awhile. Having both types of parts, he can swap 'em back and forth and decide what he likes better for the long haul.  The carrier? I'd probably wait awhile before making that much investment; but then I've always been a cheapskate [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top