Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2003 10:31:47 PM EDT
Tell us about them!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I am curious about this one as well. I know somebody has one. I remember seeing a pic posted somewhere, just don't remember where.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The only things I know so far are that they are made by Yankee Hill, the same folks who make the Bushmaster and Rock River Arms quad-rail tube handguard, and that the rifle length weighs 14.8oz without any rails attached, but including barrel nut and locking ring.
[url=https://secure.valinet.com/~yankeeh/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=forearm.html&&cart_id=4880061_23492]Yankee Hill[/url]
Oh, and that the Yankee Hill folks appear to be extremely nice and customer service oriented.

It's one of my 2 considerations as well, and so far, it's winning by a bit.   My only concern is the possibility of those threaded aluminum holes stripping out.  It happens frequently with QD studs threaded into aluminum FFT's.

I too would love to hear some impressions from an owner.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Onslaught, from what I gather from the product description, the threads themselves are not machined into the aluminum...they are steel coils inserted into the holes, like on some ARMS mounts...my gunsmith told me what they are called, but I forget...

I hope somebody chimes in on this, because these handguards could be just what the doctor ordered...basic, ventilated tubes with detachable rails just where you want them...On other stuff like the FF RAS, all those unused rail surfaces are just waiting to get dinged up and made unservicable...Phantom II's only real downfall, in my eyes, lies in its tubular design-no easy way to clean the barrel or de-gunkify it if it get filled up with debris...have to talk to the tube owners to see how they deal with the cleaning issue...

The only other thing out there (and it ain't REALLY out there yet!) that I think worthwhile is the URX...this has a removable bottom, sos you can clean the barrel easy...The LMT looks good also, but LOTSA bucks for that one!

By the way, the arument that the detachable rails would be easily lost is a "non starter"...there is so much crap hanging off rifles nowaday, the same would apply to ALL accessories...
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Guys...

I've ordered one a month ago with the Kieger 20" 7:7.5.  I felt the same way about the ability to customize the rails how and where I wanted.

To answer (some) of your questions...

I am very pleased with the fit and finish on the tube.  I have yet to put any rails on it yet and can confirm that the threads are tapped right into the tube and are NOT coils (e.g. ARMS).  This could be a problem...

I plan on getting some of the rails soon and will post my observations.

Never thought about the inability to clean inside, but the vents are sufficient that one could "HOSE" it down if you had to.  

With my Kieger barrel, I won't be volunteering that "Drag it thru the Mud and Clean it" test!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the input guys (I know it's not my thread, but thanks anyway :)  )

One thing I thought of that would be different between these rails and a swivel stud stripping out... the stud is one hole with all the pressure directly on the stud. At least with the rails, there are a minimum of two screws and any pressure will be spread along the rail.

Don't worry StormSurge... nobody can say that about detachable rails now... the SPR has them, and you can't say anything bad about those ;)
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply, dMac! Now for some more Q's...What does the weight seem like? How about stability: does it got any wiggle with the reciever? Just asking because of that other part they sell- the insert for the front of the tube...which defeats the whole free-flaot purpose!

Also, will KAC handguard panels fit on the rails?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The rifle length weighs 14.8 oz including barrel nut and locking ring, but no rails.  That's the only one I asked about.

E-mail Yankee Hill with any questions.  They were really responsive to mine.

Technical Information: [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The Tube is ROCK solid!  

I'm not sure why Yankee Hill has that Forearm Front Barrel Support.  Fulton doesn't provide that with the Phantom Upper and like I said it doesn't need it.

I don't have any KAC panels nor the rails on yet but, soon will...

I think the KAC panels should fit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The "rifle length" tube weighs 14.8 oz.?

Most rifle length aluminum FF tubes weigh over 22 oz.

If true, this is getting better and better!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top