Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 7:32:13 PM EDT
I'm lookin for a muzzle break for a buddy he's got a full auto M-16 and he wants to get rid of some of the muzzle climb.

Thanks
grinch

P.S. yes its legally registered with ATF yada yada yada
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:08:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:26:54 PM EDT
I just recently purchased a wilson combat muzzle brake, BATF approved on post ban weapons, that is similar to the bird cage flash suppressor. I LOVE IT. I don't know how it would do on a full auto weapon, however, for rapid follow up shots in semi auto I would say that it can't be beat (for a post ban).
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:14:32 PM EDT
Rock River has a LE Comp that is supposed to work well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:13:11 AM EDT
What I'm posting here are my FIRST HAND experiences, so take it for what it's worth, and understand that "mileage may vary" from user to user.... I have at one time or another put every upper that I have owned on our Department owned M16A1 lowers (and had to change out the bolt and carrier of course)....Here is what I came up with. The Wilson Combat postban muzzle brake (looks simular to the Cav Arms Comp) is useless and actually made recoil worse...it was pushing the barrel to the 2 o'clock position The Smith Enterprises muzzle brake (the one with 3 holes on either side) was not that effective (to my suprise) and I would personally take a A2 compensator over the Smith brake. The Bushmaster MINI Y-Comp (2 hole version) was not that effective and was very loud with both ear muffs and ear plugs in...I did better than the Smith but by a small margin The Bushmaster Full Sized Y-COMP (3 hole version) is a very effective muzzle brake, it kept the muzzle down and on target...Down side is that it is very loud (even to the shooter) and I would not recommend it unless it was going on a 20" barrel...but very effective...A side note, for some reason the Full Sized Y-Comp is not as obnoxious as the Mini Y-Comp (both were on 16" barrels)...I don't know if the holes on the Full Sized Y-Comp were not the same angle as the Mini or if the 3rd hole on the Full Sized Y-Comp had something to do with it....It was quite loud, just not as obnoxious and painful to the ears as the Mini Y-Comp. The Kurts Kustom A2 and A3 muzzle brakes....These were not as effective as the full size Y-COMP, but more effective than the Smith and MINI Y-Comp....The KKF A3 seemed to keep the muzzle down a bit better than the KKF A2....The KKF A2 and the Mini Y-Comp were just about neck and neck in effectiveness...But the KKF A2 had much less noise and did not direct the muzzle blast, noise, and gases back at the shooter like the Mini Y-Comp does. The Vortex and Phantom make muzzle rise worse than the USGI A2 comp, not by great margins, but enough to notice. In my opinion the best bang for the buck is the Bushmaster AK brake, it is not as loud or as long as the Full Sized Y-Comp but it's effectiveness is as good as the full sized y-comp.....The barrel was a 14.5" HBAR Fluted barrel with the AK brake perminately attached....I was shooting 30 ROUND BURSTS at a target from 30 to 35 yards away..The muzzle had no rise, but did rock left to right slightly....At 30 to 35 yards I am able to keep all rounds on target (target is a IDPA / IPSC style cardboard target)...I have used this brake numerous times on full auto and ever time I do, I'm impressed with it. I have tried a couple other muzzle brake, but can't remember what they were at the moment. Just my .02, hope this helps....
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:54:26 PM EDT
I use the AK style on my 10.5" M16 upper it is very effectve. I am not sure who make this one but I would say it comes close to 90% reduction in muzzle rise. The muzzle flash is terrible but it does not climb.
Top Top