Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 10:37:03 AM EDT
Hello all,

I think I've narrowed my choices down a bit.
Here's what I'm looking at for a bolt carrier /
bolt combo:

Les Baer National Match bolt carrier w/ bolt
JP Rifles stainless Tactical Operating System
Oly Arms Black Tac bolt carrier
Fulton Armory Carpenter steel bolt carrier w/ bolt

What do you guys think? If it helps, one of these will be mated to an Oly Arms SUM barrel
and a DPMS A3 upper receiver. I'm looking for
ease of cleaning, corrosion resistance, and
as much accuracy as I can wring out of my rifle.

Thanks.

Sam
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Les Baer is the best machined of those.  I  have not seen a Black Tac carrier but assume the finish would not wear as well as the hard chromed Young carrier on the Les Baer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I like colt B/Cs myself.  I guess i can't follow your requirements.  I think all but, possibly, the best shooters in the world would be hard pressed to find any measureable difference in accuracy between diffent bolts in a rifle.  As far as ease of cleaning goes i never spend more than 2-5 minutes cleaning a bolt (unless i'm doing a periodic teardown in which case its 10-15 m.) so its hard to figure how it could be any easier.  Corrosion resistance might be a factor if you were exposing your rifle to saltwater a lot in which case i'd bet the Oly barrel would be a problem before a properly lubed bolt would.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, just feel that maybe you've gotten the wrong idea about the importance of these criteria.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
L.B.'s assemblies are great.  A few thousandths of an inch larger in diameter, so they fit more precisely in the upper than any others.  Hard chrome plating looks cool and is easier to clean than phosphate finish.  The L.B. (or Young Mfg., same mfgr) have the additional longitudinal ribs that spread out the carrier loads over a larger area of the inside of the upper resulting in less wear.  The L.B. and Young carriers also have the longer hammer ramp like the M16 that shrouds the firing pin resulting in no snags on the firing pin and no bent F.P. retainer pins during operation because of the hammer notch.  L.B. also includes as standard equipment the McFarland 1-piece gas ring and an extra heavy-duty extractor spring with black insert.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know that I expected any of the bolt/bolt carriers to have any accuracy advantage over the others. I've heard of problems with chrome flaking off of the chrome lined parts. I was kinda leaning towards the
JP because it's stainless rather than chrome plated; but I wanted to hear some opinions on it. The Les Baer's are listed as "National Match", so I thought that might be helpful.
A black teflon coated stainless bolt carrier
assembly would be REALLY nice.

Sam
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard chrome flakes just like ARs jam every magazine becasue they are so crappy.  Its funny how 3000 fps bullets dont cause hard chrome flaking but low speed movement with lube in the upper causes it to flake.  Its also funny to note that no ther firearm has this flaking myth but the AR15 and only in one part of the rifle.

Hard chrome will reduce friction and corrosion.  It wont flake or wear your upper reciever out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
What DevL said!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top