Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 1:12:29 AM EDT
I'm ready to upgrade my trigger. I want single stage for target/plinking/varmint control.I've narrowed it donw to JP or JARD. Any opinions/advantages of one vs. the other? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with the Jard, but have built 2 rifles with the complete JP single-stage fire control system, including their anti-walk pins.  

I am completely satisfied with the performance.  There is very, very little takeup (this is adjustable, but don't recommend getting too little sear engagement, not safe), pull is 3 lb 1 oz, break is clean, overtravel is adjustable.

It is not a drop-in system but easy to get set-up.  The instructions provided with the system are very easy to follow.  Some simple hand tools are necessary to disassemble/assemble the components. You may need to file the back of the trigger to get the proper selector engagement.  Not a big deal.

I would recommend you either use JP's pins or get some slighty oversize pins from someone like [url]http://www.kagerind.com/Kager_Static_Home/S-gun_sights/s-gun_sights2.htm[/url].  The absence of "slop" in the trigger and hammer means reliable, repeatable break.

For two-stage systems, I believe that the Jewell system can't be beat.

Some people on this board whine about adjustment setscrews that may loosen up, but if the parts are completely degreased and properly LocTite'd during setup and assembly you will not have a problem.  Good triggers require the ability to adjust them properly during installation.  This mandates moveable setscrews to achieve final settings.  That's a fact of life.  The manufacturing tolerances in the wide variety of lowers being made these days make a true drop-in trigger system that REALLY performs well (very precise) an impossible thing to design and build.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I like both.  The JARD can be set up lighter, but you have to play with it to get all hints of creep out.  I have two set up to break at 16 oz. with NO creep, no overtravel, and INSTANT reset.  If you favor a 3 lb. trigger, I'd probably go with the JP simply because it tends to be a little more friendly to set up without creep.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If you need below three pounds = JARD

If you don't want any screws = Accuracy speaks

JP light hammer spring will sometimes fail on hard primers if used with the bobbed hammer.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Agree with Cking.  With the lighter spring, I had some FTF with XM193, the primers are harder.  Not a problem, just put in the stronger spring.  

JP installation video makes it easy to assemble.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the JP spring kit which, when installed in my Bushy, yielded a 4.2 lb trigger pull (Lyman gage) versus the 8.8 lb stock configuration. Also had FTF with both the Federal and Win military ammo. Sorry, but I can't live with that. Reinstalled the stock springs, but I'm still looking for a light trigger that's RELIABLE with the mil spec ammo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#6]
racecar58, try putting the JP trigger spring back in but leave the hammer spring stock.  Should lower the pull some but still pop primers at full force.  And take a look at [url=http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm]AFreeMan's 15-minute trigger job[/url] if you haven't yet.

FWIW, I never had any trouble using the JP springs with their trigger and hammer.  Pull around 2-2.5lb and 100% reilable with Q3131/Q3131A.  But I never tried the Fed. XM193.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#7]
JP's speed hammer is really needed with the light spring. Even with the JP hammer, a stock hammer spring is more reliable with mil primers. My JP is set up that way and breaks clean at 3.5# with TOTAL reliability on hard primers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top