Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 11:28:19 PM EDT
This idea popped into my head a few days ago after seeing the pics and reviews of the SIR 58Mod and DD 9.5FSB rail systems...
Has anyone here built an upper with a 14.5" barrel and mid-length handguards and gas system?  I am curious how it functions, handles, and looks.

(Please post pics, of course.)

[Edited for blikbok's question.]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if this answer yer question, I'm building an upper with a full length KAC FF RAS and 14.5" (plus Vortex) upper, since I'm removing the standard front sight and using KAC's rail mounted front sight and low profile gas block.  It'd look nice (without the front sight tower this time), with a little bit of barrel sticking out.  This is an upper with KAC FF RAS MRE, same length as the 20" rifle version.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/pdbe7e459688eb0441a43b9cdaa36d073/fb33561c.jpg[/img]
I'll post pics when I get the barrel [:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This idea popped into my head a few days ago...
View Quote

Every time this happens to me, I end up spending $$$ on a new upper.  All thanks to this @$#! board!  [:D]

Actually, this sounds quite interesting.  If anyone has this configuration, please post a pic.

BTW, nice setup Duffy!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anyone here built an upper with a 14.5" barrel and mid-length handguards?  I am curious how it functions, handles, and looks.
View Quote

Are you looking for 14.5" barrels with a mid-length gas system or just mid-length handguards?

Wes at MSTN has a pic of a 14.5" with longer FF tubes.

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/mstn/tanm4a1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you looking for 14.5" barrels with a mid-length gas system or just mid-length handguards?
View Quote

I meant a mid-length gas system.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Does sound interesting.  It would not be that expensive of an endevour either.  Just give Steve @ ADCO a call and have a 16" midlength RRA barrel cut down to 14.5" and have a brake/flash hider permanently installed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  It sounds like nobody has tried it.  I'll BTT once just to make sure.

Duffy, I reread your post and actually understood it properly this time; it sounds like a good carbine.  I, however, want a fixed front sight and doubt I need the extra rail and weight of a rifle-length FF RAS.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
There are pics of a couple over on the KKF website.  I'd go find them for you, but if I don't get offline before the wife gets in here... well...

;)

I think they look really good.  I'm so fond of the mid-length look that I won't have another carbine length (unless it's an SBR).

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have done many mid-length gas systems on 14.5" barrels -- it is, IMHO, the only way to go. Reliability is what you would expect from the mid-length system and the benefits of the system are the same.

The first prototype is still in use and has an untold number of thousand rounds through it now and I have not heard any complaints from anyone that has borrowed, used or otherwise nicked it for a few days.

Rate of fire is more where it should be... I like the system quite well. I have posted pictures of the dissy style "Recon Rifle" top end on here several times (mid-length, 16", full length hand guards)... but the mid-length 14.5 systems (some have seen the Aardvark) have not been shown much.

Maybe this week I can get the okay to post pictures of the two top ends -- they will be at the end of this link www.midlengthuppers.com

But, the Enhanced Battle Receiver... well another time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Onslaught, thanks for the tip.  Theses pics were added since I last looked at KKF's site.
[url]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/albums/album_image/42605/26419.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/albums/album_image/42605/26420.htm[/url]
I _like_ it.  Does look funny with a carry handle upper receiver and flattop gas block, though.

Gunzilla, excellent.  Thanks for the reply from someone who has actually built and used this config, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind that the pics at KKF are for .22 rimfire uppers and not really mid-length gas systems, as they have no gas system?

The 14.5" mid-length works out very well and is getting a lot of interest lately...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top