Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2003 2:43:50 PM EDT
Fixing to get my first Ar15.  Thought I had my mind made up on the Bushmaster VMatch with the 24" bbl.  Then I had to check out the Rock River Varmint with the 24" ss bbl.  I now really prefer the looks of the Rock, but am unsure about quality.  Anyone with suggestions about either would be greatly appreciated!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you search around a little on the AR Discussions section in this forum, you will find that RRA makes top notch AR's.  I myself have a RRA varminter (20" 1/8 twist)  that shoots much better than I do.  I have shot .25" groups on occasion and .5" groups consistently with it.  Could probably get tighter groups with more practice.  Definately more accurate than I am.  You will not be disappointed.

BTW, what weight bullets do you plan on using?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
RRA 20" varimint gun here and the quality, fit and finish is equal in every way to my Bushmaster and Armalite rifles.  You can't go wrong either way.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=12921[/img]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for the info.  I think I will get the RRA.  To answer your question I haven't decided what bullet I'm going to be using.  I will be using the gun mainly for target practice, and ground hogs.  I understand that the faster twist like 1:7, are for heavier bullets and the slower 1:9 are for lighter bullets. So, I guess the 1:8 just meets in the middle?  This brings me to my next question, how come Bushmaster's only come in 1:9 for their vmatch?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
1:8 will stabilize just about everything from 50-80 grains.  I handload and the 77 and 75 grain bullets give me .5 moa consistently in my RRA.  I'm having pretty good luck with the 60 grain V-Max right now too, which is probably better for varmints than the 77/75 grainers.  

Handloading helps a lot if you plan on using [u]match[/u] ammo.  Saves $$$ on ammo costs in the long run, and you can make loads just for your rifle that will be more accurate than any factory load.  Not worth it if you are just shooting surplus though.

And with Bushmaster and their 1/9 twist; 1/9 is pretty much the compromise between 1/12 and 1/7.  Pretty much every company uses this twist on their standard rifles, but many use 1/8 on their varmint/accurate guns for heavier bullets.  Plus, most people use surplus 55 or 62 grain bullets in their guns, which is perfect for the 1/9 twist.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again az-ar.  I was just reading on here about a few guys having problems with their RR 2 stage triggers.  Is this a problem to be expected, and does Bushmaster often encounter the same problem?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top