Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2003 3:31:43 AM EDT
I just bought a bushmaster 25th anniversary and was wondering if i should shoot it or not to maintain its value? Would it be a better investment if i bough another rifle to fire?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I also have one. I bought it for collection / investment and will not be shooting it. It will sell better unfired.

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Many of my compadres succumbed to this line of thinking as well.

Seems that even if the rifle is unfired NIB without so much as a mote of dust or a single fingerprint, the rifle will be worth less upon trading/selling, unless the piece is rare.

What was the production run? 1,000? 25,000?

In any case, unless you happen to find a rich collector looking for just what you are offering, the fact that the Fed Yellowsheet was filed on that rifle means that, no matter what, it cannot be resold as new.

Only as a used rifle.

IIRC, a good friend who picked up a Bushy VMatch for $800 just last year traded it in on a M1A1...and got only $450 back. He put just 100 rounds downrange with it (what's that come out to? $3.50 a shot, plus ammo?!? Cripes!!!) and the dealer (who I also am acquainted with) said he didn't care if it had seen 100,000 firings or none. The used price is $650 and I have made my D.P.!

Poor sap. He had added scope rings, a cheapo Simmons scope, and had a sling swivel stud installed as well. To say nothing of the trigger work he also had done. At least he traded it with a POS aftermarket mag that didn't work--which he bought from the same dealer.

Well, screw that noise....I buy only those weapons I intend to use in order to avoid such chicanery. And I always check here first to see what the feedback sounds like!

Good luck,

FastVFR800

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just bought a bushmaster 25th anniversary and was wondering if i should shoot it or not to maintain its value? Would it be a better investment if i bough another rifle to fire?
View Quote

Shoot it. It might be worth more in a 100 years.  Do some research.  Commemorative firearms are a crappy investment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#4]
My .02:

Do what gives you the most satisfaction. Frankly I am not a fan of that "blinged out blackie" and I truly agree that many commemorative "investments" go to the toilet. That said there are two kinds of approaches for any rifle with investment potential...

1. You care more about playing with it and the loss (no matter how severe) is worth the enjoyment you got out of it. (FWIW a commemorative may not yield much return, but it will yield a HELL of a lot more unfired than used)

2. Your main pleasure of this rifle is as a collector's piece. You enjoy this weapon because it represents the heritage of the weapon & the company that makes it. If you cringe at the depreciation that each "fun" session exerts on your toy, then go this route.

Some people have shooters AND safe queens. The choice is entirely yours. Just make it the one that will give you the most enjoyment not monetary gain (Note: some enjoy the pristine rifle more than the shot rifle regardless of resale).
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Well,
i think i have made my decision to take this weapon to the range.
thanks to all who helped me decide. Also any suggestions for my second ar 15? preban? post ban? etc.
thanks,
bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top