Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2003 5:48:10 AM EDT
I need some help on the subject of selecting a forward handguard for a carbine that is adaptable to a foregrip.  It's an M4.  I've been using a Samco system of grip and handguard for about a year now, but have found a few flaws. #1 is the handguards melt from heavy full auto usage - they dont last long under high heat conditions.  #2 is that the forward grip is not totally tight on the handguards as there is some slight movement once locked in - perhaps not a big deal, but i like to have a secure grip on what is out there.

Is there a reasonably priced system that simply replaces a setup like this?  The SIR looks really cool, but seems a bit pricy for me.  Would an aluminum handguard system be better due to the heat buildup?  I see that GG&G is advertising a new type of system similar to the KAS, and their ad says the front sight does not have to be removed for installation.  That sounds good, but my past dealings with GG&G have been so-so.  

I know somebody on the board has probably "been there and done that" in this arena, and I'm hoping to find out what the best options are these days.  I dont have the need to attach other devices besides a foregrip on the handguards, so hopefully that might simplify the decision process (?)

TIA
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Alum is like a magnet and race track for heat.
If you want to have the coolest running possible, then the SIR will give you that for sure an well worth it for a lot of reasons.
The #50 slim line is not all that much for what you get, and you won't need a pistol grip to keep your hands fom being burned. Pistol grips mainly came into use because alum hand guards got so hot, even with panels after about 4 30 rd. mags of full auto fire. Pistol grips are a pain espec. in the prone position.
My .02 worth.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks 3rdtk - i'll take at look at the #50 then.  appreciate the tip & good points about the other routes...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top